Original Post
Most of the coding I've done throughout my life has been in either C or C++. I've done quite a bit of Java, but have been unable to complete anything substantial with it because of various little annoyances. I normally do my coding in Gedit for its simplicity, and simply type 'make' into the command line to build my program. But writing a makefile for a Java based app isn't as clean as it should be. When writing a C/C++ app, GCC can generate a dependency list for each source file. When any of the dependencies (headers) are modified, make knows to recompile the source. But in Java, if, for example, I change the constant 'ClassOne.CONSTANT' which is used by 'ClassTwo', there's no way for make to know that 'ClassTwo' should be rebuilt. I've searched for dependency generators with no luck.
After giving up on the simple command line + text editor style of development for Java, I tried out a few IDEs. I liked JCreator, but this appears to be for only Windows, which I try to avoid whenever I can. I also tried NetBeans and Eclipse, both of which I find completely unusable. Both of them try to write code for you, such as increasing indentation, writing closing brackets, and inaccurately predicting which method name I'm writing. And it appears that some of these annoying features are impossible to disable. Is there a single Java IDE out there with a text editor whose only purpose is to edit text?
Before giving up on Java development forever, I'd like to see if there are any other options that you guys think may suit me. Any help is appreciated
After giving up on the simple command line + text editor style of development for Java, I tried out a few IDEs. I liked JCreator, but this appears to be for only Windows, which I try to avoid whenever I can. I also tried NetBeans and Eclipse, both of which I find completely unusable. Both of them try to write code for you, such as increasing indentation, writing closing brackets, and inaccurately predicting which method name I'm writing. And it appears that some of these annoying features are impossible to disable. Is there a single Java IDE out there with a text editor whose only purpose is to edit text?
Before giving up on Java development forever, I'd like to see if there are any other options that you guys think may suit me. Any help is appreciated