Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Books / tutorials for Advanced C++ / C# topics?

Started by applejacks Mar 29, 2011 at 7:52 PM 4 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
applejacks
applejacks
I'm not new to programming, but I am not as experienced in C# and C++ as I am in web development.. I know most of the basics and intermediate stuff, but where do you learn the more advanced topics? There's a ton of books out there that cover beginning C# / C++, and all of that. But what books out there teach you the harder stuff? Thanks
apatriarca
apatriarca
Your question is too generic. What are the advanced topics you are speaking about? What do you want to know?
MilesRufat-Latre
MilesRufat-Latre

I'm not new to programming, but I am not as experienced in C# and C++ as I am in web development.. I know most of the basics and intermediate stuff, but where do you learn the more advanced topics? There's a ton of books out there that cover beginning C# / C++, and all of that. But what books out there teach you the harder stuff? Thanks


Precisely how far are you into C#/C++? Do you...
A ) "Know" the format and the systems, but want to do more advanced things (using libraries, makefiles, SDKs, etc.)
B )Have an incomplete understanding of C++ or C# (if you don't understand part of the language itself rather than libs and SDKs bigger things etc.)
C ) Want to learn STL objects (containers, among other things) to make better use of your current knowledge of C++/C#
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you (and I) are crunchy and good with ketchup.
applejacks
applejacks

Precisely how far are you into C#/C++? Do you...
A ) "Know" the format and the systems, but want to do more advanced things (using libraries, makefiles, SDKs, etc.)
B )Have an incomplete understanding of C++ or C# (if you don't understand part of the language itself rather than libs and SDKs bigger things etc.)
C ) Want to learn STL objects (containers, among other things) to make better use of your current knowledge of C++/C#


I think it's more of not knowing parts of the language itself. I've used stuff like XNA and OpenGL, and I know oop, inheritance, lists, dictionaries, etc., but sometimes I'll come across something I haven't seen before (such as templates which I haven't really seen before, or threading). Just the stuff that you wouldn't usually find in a beginner book.
Fl4sh
Fl4sh

[quote name='soccermiles' timestamp='1301434503' post='4791909']
Precisely how far are you into C#/C++? Do you...
A ) "Know" the format and the systems, but want to do more advanced things (using libraries, makefiles, SDKs, etc.)
B )Have an incomplete understanding of C++ or C# (if you don't understand part of the language itself rather than libs and SDKs bigger things etc.)
C ) Want to learn STL objects (containers, among other things) to make better use of your current knowledge of C++/C#


I think it's more of not knowing parts of the language itself. I've used stuff like XNA and OpenGL, and I know oop, inheritance, lists, dictionaries, etc., but sometimes I'll come across something I haven't seen before (such as templates which I haven't really seen before, or threading). Just the stuff that you wouldn't usually find in a beginner book.
[/quote]

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]

[quote name='soccermiles' timestamp='1301434503' post='4791909']
Precisely how far are you into C#/C++? Do you...
A ) "Know" the format and the systems, but want to do more advanced things (using libraries, makefiles, SDKs, etc.)
B )Have an incomplete understanding of C++ or C# (if you don't understand part of the language itself rather than libs and SDKs bigger things etc.)
C ) Want to learn STL objects (containers, among other things) to make better use of your current knowledge of C++/C#


I think it's more of not knowing parts of the language itself. I've used stuff like XNA and OpenGL, and I know oop, inheritance, lists, dictionaries, etc., but sometimes I'll come across something I haven't seen before (such as templates which I haven't really seen before, or threading). Just the stuff that you wouldn't usually find in a beginner book.
[/quote]


http://www.amazon.com/Windows-via-Pro-Jeffrey-Richter/dp/0735624240/ref=pd_sim_b_7[/font]

*shrugs* huh.gif
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
Telastyn
Telastyn
Most (good) books will include templates, and advanced language features such as LINQ or generators. Experience and practice will help you use them. There's a metaprogramming book for C++ I've heard is good. Josuttis has a good Standard C++ Library book for that (though that's not advanced).

But this is still rather not clear. It's hard I know to describe what you don't know, but... I can't think of many language features or libraries that lack resources. Threading is certainly one that doesn't have good practical learning stuff. Program design has patterns, but little more... but those aren't language specific things.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.