Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

E-cigarettes

Started by mrtiedye Mar 31, 2011 at 3:47 AM 14 replies 3k views
Original Post
mrtiedye
mrtiedye
I was wondering if anyone had tried these electronic cigarettes, and if you could suggest a brand. All the reviews I have read seem to be people trying to sell one brand or another. I tried Blu, and was very disappointed. The cartridges only lasted a couple puffs, and the batteries were very unreliable. Your honesty is greatly appreciated.
dpadam450
dpadam450
3 posts. One of them is a year old and one of them is this.
NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims 
mrtiedye
mrtiedye
Thank you dpadam450 for that very informative post. Anyone else have anything constructive to say?
tstrimp
tstrimp

Thank you dpadam450 for that very informative post. Anyone else have anything constructive to say?


Cow farts cause global warming.
Khaiy
Khaiy
I haven't used any. But the impression I've gotten from users and people who study the product is that they are universally not very good. They don't last long, each puff is almost entirely plain air, and they are expensive. The brand doesn't matter, it's the type of product itself that sucks.
     -------R.I.P.-------      Selective Quote ~Too Late - Too Soon~
nuvem
nuvem
I've been using them for over a year now. Started with a Blu-like device, but after the supplier stopped shipping to Canada, I switched over to the eGo and manually filling carts since it's a bit cheaper, and the batteries last a lot longer.

Pros:
- I stopped smoking cigarettes immediately (variety of benefits here)
- Variable dose size (don't have to have a whole cigarette's worth)
- Cheaper over the long run (Canada)

Cons:
- Expensive to start
- The hardware is not ready for prime-time: they're cheap, have all sorts of usability issues, inconsistent results, etc..

As the only person I know using them, I've lost of bit of money learning the ropes, and in general I've found them to be often frustrating to use, especially when your battery randomly dies one day or you burn out your last atomizer... but I'd take it over smoking cigarettes any day.
DaveMS
DaveMS
I started with some generic brand crap. Wasn't great, each cartridge refill lasted about 5 - 10 drags before you needed a another refill. Then found the Tornado-T e-cigarette (search for totally wicked Tornado-T), which uses a tank system instead of a cartridge. The result - each refill lasts about half a day of continuous use. One of the best on the market IMHO. Don't buy the pre-filled cartridge tanks, buy the juice separately and fill your own cartridges.

Haven't touched a real cig since, and I smoked 20 a day, at £6 a pack = .£180 a month. Cost of juice for e-cig for me is about £40 a month.

So save some coin, and ain't killing myself so much.

As nuvm says above, some parts are consumable - atomisers need replacing every month or so (about £10), and batteries will die and need replacing eventually, although mine are still going.

All in all, if you are a smoker, I would recommend it, but do your research first and spend the money, buying the cheap crap will be a waste of time.
nilkn
nilkn
My dad smoked at least a pack of cigarettes a day, probably more, for a really long time, and he simply could not quit. He said he quit for about a year in the 80s and wanted a cigarette every single day of that entire year--and that was 25ish years ago.

He's quit smoking actual cigarettes now through the use of an e-cigarette (sorry, I don't know which brand) and some nicotine gum sometimes. He has had a lot of trouble with the e-cigarette. It seems to be expensive, it simply doesn't work sometimes, and the cartridges seem to run out very quickly.

Based on his experience, I'd suggest it if you need to quit smoking but find it extremely hard to do.
Fl4sh
Fl4sh
Ugh...quite honestly this is pathetic. I had heard of e-cigs but apparently (from this thread and google) there is a huge community behind them. OH GOD, all you're doing is sucking in WATER VAPOR. I have lost all faith in humanity.

Check these idiots talking about how quickly they run through batteries:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/35958-wow-510-batteries-dont-last-long-right-2.html
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
UltimaX
UltimaX
I have never tried those, but I was informed yesterday about acupuncture. I'm thinking about trying it because it supposedly works with great results. The person that told me had been smoking since they were a young teenager and smoked about 1.5 packs a day. As soon as he had the procedure done he quit with no physical side effects, no withdraw, etc. He said the hardest part was changing his mental habits (got to have a cig in the morning, after supper, etc.). It's done by lasers and there is no pain and they shoot the laser in parts of your ear and hands. In my area it costs $250 for three sessions. He quit after one session... He still has two more if he needs them, but he had it done a month ago and no cig or nothing since.

Here is a news station talking about it.
way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care
I know my dad had one so he could curb emergency cravings. Not sure how it's been holding up since I moved, but he cut his cigarette intake down quite a bit just cutting out emergency cravings with an ecig.
Sneftel
Sneftel
I never understood -- what's the advantage of something like this over nicotine gum or patches?
ChurchSkiz
ChurchSkiz

Ugh...quite honestly this is pathetic. I had heard of e-cigs but apparently (from this thread and google) there is a huge community behind them. OH GOD, all you're doing is sucking in WATER VAPOR. I have lost all faith in humanity.

Check these idiots talking about how quickly they run through batteries:

http://www.e-cigaret...ng-right-2.html


It's not water vapor, it's glycerin, and it's filled with nicotine. Asthmatics do the same, are they idiots?

What I think is more idiotic is spending $200 a month on cigarettes, but to each his own.
tstrimp
tstrimp

I never understood -- what's the advantage of something like this over nicotine gum or patches?


The act of using it is the same as smoking and is supposed to help with the transition. Plus you can still go on smoke breaks while at work When was the last time you got a gum chewing break?
Bigdeadbug
Bigdeadbug
I have known a couple of people who have tried to using them. Not to quite but because they thought they

were (i have no idea if it's true or not). I did hear about the chances of getting nicotine poisoning (i have no way of backing that claim up so I'd take it with a pinch of salt) are a lot higher than normal cigarettes but if you're a regular smoker i don't think that's much of an issue.

One of them quite not long after, he was only smoke these at the time so i guess they must have helped, the other went back to normal cigarettes after a while because they were less hassle if i remember correctly, he also moved to Serbia where there equivalent to £1.50 a pack so i guess that didn't help the matter .

mrtiedye
mrtiedye
Ugh...quite honestly this is pathetic. I had heard of e-cigs but apparently (from this thread and google) there is a huge community behind them. OH GOD, all you're doing is sucking in WATER VAPOR. I have lost all faith in humanity.

Check these idiots talking about how quickly they run through batteries:

http://www.e-cigaret...ng-right-2.html
[/quote]

Thanks for this link. This forum answered a lot of questions for me. I have placed an order for the Riva 510. With any luck, I will soon be replacing my socially unacceptable habit with one that is much healthier for me and those around me. Also, as someone said above, it is not just water vapor. It contains flavoring as well as nicotine.

I never understood -- what's the advantage of something like this over nicotine gum or patches?[/quote]
For me, the hardest thing about quitting is the habit. I can get over the nicotine addiction in a matter of less than a week, but I have been smoking for as long as I can remember. I have quit for up to 6 months before, and the entire time, I just felt like something was missing. I don't expect the e-cigarette to help me quit, but I do hope it will make my habit not only cheaper, but better for me as well. Plus, I will be able to smoke after a meal in a restaurant once again.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.