Original Post
So I'm working on some ideas related to how you would handle culture in a Civilization style game. Each tile will have its own population rather than there being a central city managing the tiles in its radius. I will group the tiles by province for some things but basically it will be based on tiles. So there will be farm tiles, suburb tiles, etc.... Now here is the thing, not all tiles will have the same density. So a farm might have 3 population and a town might have 20.
So I guess that i can't really show people on the map. I want each population point to have three distinct culture slots. So I was thinking that people would display their culture by wearing colored garments. One person might have blue pants and a blue shirt and and orange hat. Another might have a blue hat and a blue shirt but orange pants. Both populations would have 2/3 of their loyalty to the blue culture, and 1/3 to the orange culture, but in different ways. I was also thinking that I could depict this using tricolored flags. The reason that I want three distrinct slots is it works with my cultural diffusion/evolution model.
So any ideas? My idea seems almost unworkable from a UI perspective. I would be willing (happy?) to go to a system where there is one population point per tile, but then I get problems of density. It also makes the growth and migration model trickier.
So I guess that i can't really show people on the map. I want each population point to have three distinct culture slots. So I was thinking that people would display their culture by wearing colored garments. One person might have blue pants and a blue shirt and and orange hat. Another might have a blue hat and a blue shirt but orange pants. Both populations would have 2/3 of their loyalty to the blue culture, and 1/3 to the orange culture, but in different ways. I was also thinking that I could depict this using tricolored flags. The reason that I want three distrinct slots is it works with my cultural diffusion/evolution model.
So any ideas? My idea seems almost unworkable from a UI perspective. I would be willing (happy?) to go to a system where there is one population point per tile, but then I get problems of density. It also makes the growth and migration model trickier.