Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Different results when viewing on laptop vs desktop (w/ detials)

Started by chbfiv Apr 21, 2011 at 6:42 PM 0 replies 850+ views
Original Post
chbfiv
chbfiv
We are using XNA (custom rendering solution, not the one provided by default w/ XNA).

Both computers are Windows 7, w/ DirectX 9.0c, Shader 3.0
Desktop is x64 and Nvidia Geforce GTX 570
Laptop is x32 and Nvidia Quadro FX 1800M

The main problem is that we export our models w/ channel 2 AO passes; they arn't showing up on the laptop but they are (and have been) on the desktop. After talking with the team who developed the render engine they seem to think it's something in the shader that isn't supported by the laptop. From what they explained, the blending for channel 2 was happening at the shader level, not using TextureBlendStages at the api level.

The first thing I looked into was the MaxTextureBlendStages and MaxSimultaneousTextures in the DXSDK Caps viewer and I found that both the desktop and the laptop have the same setting of 8 for both. W/ that I'm out of obvious options as to understand why the shader wouldnt blend the same on both adapters at the shader level w/ the same shader version.

Also, a second more minor issue we found was that the laptop was exaggerating the specularity significantly more than on the desktop. It was easy enough to dial down for our purposes.
-BourkeIV
chbfiv
chbfiv
Strangely enough I figured out that the spec was canceling the shadowmap completely. I'm not sure why the laptop and desktop process the spec pass w/ different results, but my main issue was resolved.
-BourkeIV

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.