Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Help wanted for casual web/mobile project

Started by snug May 3, 2011 at 12:32 AM 4 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
snug
snug
Team name:
No name as of yet

Project name:
Initial project: Steel Wings: The Canyon Runners

Brief description:
I’m an IT professional (12 years), hobbyist musician and avid gamer. My career objective is to find (or create) a position that marries these three elements into one glorious dream-job. One of my strategies to help me work towards this goal is to develop a series of casual games (web and/or mobile) on the side to gain experience, exposure and help to build a portfolio. I’d like to build a strong but small (2-4 people) team to help make this happen.

Our initial project is entitled Steel Wings: The Canyon Runners and is a combination of racer and shoot ‘em up. It’s Java-based and leverages LWJGL. The GDD is available on request. Depending on the success of the release I would want to explore the possibility of porting to other platforms as well as localization to other languages.

Beyond that, I do have some ideas in the hopper but I would be looking to collaboratively storyboard and prototype designs with others on an on-going basis. Ideas that are deemed strong enough would be developed in full for a single platform, and then again, potentially ported and/or localized.

Target aim:

Short term (3 months):
  • Completion of initial game (Canyon Runners)
  • Potential porting to other platforms, localization
    Medium term (6 months):
    • Story-boarding/prototyping of potential casual game designs
    • Development of best idea for web or mobile
    • Release as shareware/nag-ware with a “full” version available for purchase
      Long-term (12+ months):
      • Potential porting to other platforms, localization
      • Potential formalization of a company depending on financial success of above
        Compensation:
        I am looking for motivated and passionate individuals who are in a similar situation as myself. There is certainly money to be made but the this would be medium to long term, per the above.

        Note that I would like to explore the possibility of government grants to help cover some initial costs as necessary, but this would be a “nice to have” and not something I would count on.

        Technology:
        We will be focusing on technologies that are naturally cross-platform, such as Java, OpenGL and ActionScript/AIR. As mentioned, our initial project is Java-based.

        Talent needed:
        • Designer: I have found a designer/artist with whom I'm now working with on a specific concept. His involvement beyond this project is unclear so the position is still effectively open.
        • Programmer(s): Java, LWJGL, OpenGL. Mobile experience a plus
        • 2D artist
        • 3D artist: I would like to have a 3D artist on “stand-by” as there is the potential for “light” 3D on some of these platforms
          Team structure:
          • Me: I have a wide range of experience in IT (programming, process/SDLC, best practices, etc.) so I’ll bring to the table whatever is relevant and needed. Music and audio production is my “passion” so I would want to be involved in all aspects of this. Samples of my musical works can be found on my website http://snugsound.com or SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/snugsound
          • Designer/artist: http://jonathanx.com/ As stated above, may only be on board for one project
            Website:
            There is no website for this initiative as of yet.

            Contacts:
            E-mail snug at snugsound dot com

            Previous Work by Team:
            Does not apply as we are a new team. See above for samples of individual members work.

            Additional Info:
            Serious inquiries only. If you don’t have at least a few years of hobbyist game dev experience under your belt you’d best to look elsewhere. Ideally you would have some relevant professional experience in a related field as well (i.e. IT, graphic design, etc.). The most important thing here is solid team cohesion though, so I’m willing to overlook some things if there’s a “spark” or chemistry.

            Expect to put in “part time” hours initially (10-15 hours a week). If you have a day job, having a bit of vacation time accumulated won’t hurt either

            Feedback:
            Any and all. Bring it on.
http://snugsound.com/
snug
snug
Bump!
http://snugsound.com/
Slyxsith
Slyxsith
Hey Snug,

We may have some common goals. I like your planning details and I wonder if we shouldn't talk a bit more. Check out my profile please, have a look at what I've done and my skillsets and then maybe we can have a chat. I'd be intrested in what you feel your strong points are in regards to the programming. It sounds like you are fairly competant at coding/scripting and audio development.

Have a peek at my profile and let me know if you are intrested in a further conversation.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark MacPherson
Flybynight Studios
: Owner
Current Skillsets: Project Manager - Team Lead - Scripter - 2D Artwork - Basic 3D Modeller - Web Development - Marketing - Administration
 
snug
snug
PMed
http://snugsound.com/
snug
snug
Updates May 10/2011:
  • I have found a designer/artist with whom I'm now working with on a specific concept. His involvement beyond this project is unclear so the position is still effectively open.
  • I have found a Java/C++ programmer who is able to pitch in here and there and does have some design experience so we should be good on this front. I’ve removed the position.
  • I have started documenting some of my personal designs/prototypes on a private wiki which I will share with anyone who joins the team. Even if you aren’t able to make a huge commitment, just having another set of eyes to critique/pick stuff apart is always helpful.
    I’ve updated the post with the above
http://snugsound.com/
snug
snug
Update June 3/2011:
  • Programmer has fallen through. Position is still open
    I’ve updated the post with the above
http://snugsound.com/

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.