Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Aspiring Indie UNITY team looking to form

Started by MERKB7661 May 19, 2011 at 12:41 AM 11 replies 2.8k views
Original Post
MERKB7661
MERKB7661
Team name:
Tentatively Dreams[sup]2[/sup]

Project name:
Unity project, as yet un-named.

Brief description:
I have been an aspiring programmer for some years, and I know the basics, but that's it. I, like many others, require others for support and motivation. I don't need professionals, but I need a group of people willing to try and help complete a single level of a 2D or 3D (member preference) in Unity. I am a fan of old-fashioned games, platformers are not beyond my reach of abilities-with some help.

Target aim:
Experience, summer fun, friendship, and portfolio. More if we make it.

Compensation:
I feel like dreaming big is a first step. If we stick together, we can make something of ourselves. For now, just friends making games.

Technology:
Standalone, web, and android if we make a finished project. Fastest way to cash in. We will be using Unity, a free multi-platform commercial development tool. Free basic setup, payment plan which I will invest in if we do something worthwhile.

Talent needed:
Scripters: C++, Javascript (preferred), or Boo. Someone with experience would be appreciated for leadership, all newbies will be welcomed.
Modelers: Due to Unity being an engine designed with 3D development in mind, I would like artists to have some basic 3D modeling capabilities, or serious gumption. Some knowledge of Blender (freeware) or Maya(experienced) is required. 2D games are very possible, but 3D models still required (think the new Super Mario Bros. type games). Of course, menu design, buttons, GUI, etc. is handled by unity, and a 2D artist would be necessary for those.
Artist: We will need menus, buttons, and a logo. I need just one of you, I think. Again, any experience, but please have a passion for what you're doing.
Sound: I can oblige this position, but one other person to take lead would be terrific. Gumption and some Audacity experience preferred
2 scripters, 2 modelers, an artist, a sound designer. These are the most basic components. If we get one of each, I will be pleased. If we get 50, it'll be tricky, but we will have some fun.

Team structure:
Brandon: Project Lead, Coder, Level Design, Writer

Website:
The second I get some dedicated members who agree on an idea, I will have one up and running.

Contacts:
PLEASE feel free to e-mail me directly at MERKB7661@uwc.edu or merkle.brandon@gmail.com.

Previous Work by Team:
None

Additional Info:
I have completed a basic level from a 2d and 3d tutorial. I am ready to go, if you are!

Feedback:
ANY

Leid
Leid
Have you already come up with the GDD of the game yet?
MERKB7661
MERKB7661
As a matter of fact I have. I was leaving that open for the time, since newly-developing teams often like to have a say in what genre of game they are going to build.
Nexis717
Nexis717
[font="Times New Roman"] [/font]I saw that you mentioned using C++ but want to use theunity engine. I believe Unity 3D only supports C#, Javascript and Boo, not C++.Anyway, if you meant C# instead of C++ I would be very interested in gettingsomething together.

I've been working with C# a lot lately using .Net and XNA but I'm looking touse Unity as I believe it provides the power I would like to use to make morein depth games. Unity seems like a beast to pick up though and joining a teamto help develop something sounds really fun. I'm a stay at home dad that has abit of free time So I would be willing to put the time in in trying to getsomething off the ground.

As I stated before, I'm really only proficient with C#, and just a hobbyist at that but if that is ok with you then feel free to drop me a line,[email="nexis007@hotmail.com"]nexis007@hotmail.com[/email].

[font="Times New Roman"] [/font]
MERKB7661
MERKB7661
You're right about it being C#; the cool thing about Unity is that the scripters can all use different languages, they'll still work together in the project. I have been using Javascript, I may or may not deviate from that convention. But I digress. PM sent.
fayt
fayt
Hey man,

You posted for my help in another thread. Here is my 3D project site, it's not all my stuff, I've been getting much better, but it's a start.
www.americanmadesigns.com/3dsite/

Let me know if you're interested. Also I don't do any 2D stuff, I only do 3D.
MERKB7661
MERKB7661
That's ok, Unity is very 3D geared anyway. I like your work alot. If you would like to work with us, I'd be honored, I'm sure. I'll PM you shortly.
fayt
fayt
Soooooo when is this going to get started?
leosmithii
leosmithii
Hello there,

I am a musical composer, first and foremost. I saw that you did not have a composer in your team and figured you would be needing one to write music for your game(s). I would like to be that composer for you. The music that I write is usually for String Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra. I can do Symphony style work aswell. The genre of music I compose is normally Romantic Era music (example composers of this era would be Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff). To many, this style of music would sould like regular Classical music, which I can also do. Although these genres of music are my specialty, I can also write more modern sounding music (like rock, jazz, marches, etc...). Starting with the most experienced instument, I am proficient at the Trumpet, Sax, and Piano (some people want to know this).
The software I use to compose my music is called Finale. It can be found here: [color="#234786"]www.finalemusic.com/. This software is a program where I am writing songs note for note. I do not use samples or anything that has been previously made. The compositions sound real, as if it were professionally recorded in an Orchestra Hall. Additionally, if you can read music notation, I can send you the score and you can review the composition. The highest quality file type I can extract is a .WAV file.
If you would like to take me on board, please email me back [email="leosmithii@yahoo.com"]leosmithii@yahoo.com[/email]. Let me know if you would like to see some samples. Many thanks,Leo Smith II[size="1"]pseudonym
scout113
scout113
Email sent. New at 3D design but I am self learning Maya and Unity. Looking for a group to help build experience and ideas.
"No man ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."
-General George S. Patton
MERKB7661
MERKB7661
I will be PM-ing you all. Thank you for your continued responses!
DeBraveMan
DeBraveMan
Great to know all of you all are using Unity. I am using Unity as well, but already have a game in works. I would like to personally invite you all for the experience and such on the gaming project as I need all the help i can get. you can PM me or contact me at www.demasterz@yahoo.com . Regarding to my project, check out my latest topic and post regarding it's information with a website added to the post. Thankyou for reading and hope you all will join.
fayt
fayt
I do renders, modeling, texturing, and simple rigging and animating. However I will only do 3D stuff.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.