Original Post
G'day,
I've recently seen some pretty cool demos showing Voxel/Marching Cube terrain and have a few general questions about it. I'll just list them out and hopefully someone with some experience in the area can answer them.
1. How is Voxel data usually stored? Is it similar to height-mapped terrain where you can just specify heights and then generate the vertices during run-time?
2. How is the large memory footprint handled in a real-time simulation? Are there "chunks" which can be streamed in and out depending on view distance?
3. What sort of partitioning/culling methods can apply? Octree/Frustum, Occlusion Culling?
4. What sort of LOD techniques work well? (This could kind of apply to question 2 I guess)
5. Know of any simple examples I can examine?
Thanks!
I've recently seen some pretty cool demos showing Voxel/Marching Cube terrain and have a few general questions about it. I'll just list them out and hopefully someone with some experience in the area can answer them.
1. How is Voxel data usually stored? Is it similar to height-mapped terrain where you can just specify heights and then generate the vertices during run-time?
2. How is the large memory footprint handled in a real-time simulation? Are there "chunks" which can be streamed in and out depending on view distance?
3. What sort of partitioning/culling methods can apply? Octree/Frustum, Occlusion Culling?
4. What sort of LOD techniques work well? (This could kind of apply to question 2 I guess)
5. Know of any simple examples I can examine?
Thanks!