Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Looking For Game Designers/Brainstormers

Started by TTT_Dutch May 31, 2011 at 1:07 AM 14 replies 1.9k views
Original Post
TTT_Dutch
TTT_Dutch
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Team name:
TheTechTouch

Brief description:
We have a goal to become a great indie studio. All of us enjoy playing and making games and we are all ready to make them, but right now we are out of ideas.

Target aim:
We are planning on selling our games, whether on steam or strait from our site.

Compensation:
The budget is too low to pay right now, but once a game sells, you will get payed depending on how much you gave to the team.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
Technology:
We are using C++ for the main programming language, OpenGL for graphics, and SFML for the windowing system. We are looking to make our games cross OS (Windows, Linux, Mac).

Talent needed:
You don't need experience, you just need a good idea and must be ready to brainstorm brand new original games. And please do not offer FPS games unless they are completely different from the rest.

Team structure:
We currently have two full time programmers (Tapped and myself), a full time web developer (Tyler), and a part time designer (Matt, he is almost never able to design). Matt, Tyler, and Tapped have been on the team for about 5-6 months. Also I am the captain of the team since I started it[color=#1C2837][size=2].

Website:
Thetechtouch.tk (New website is being developed)

Contacts:
You can email me at thetechtouchdutch@gmail.com or add me on skype: fierce_dutch

Previous Work by Team:
I personally have built one game, which was the standard pikin sticks. Tapped has built multiple games and Tyler has designed multiple sites. Matt hasn't done anything.

Additional Info:
We are desperate for game ideas and completely ready to code them.

Feedback:
[color="#1c2837"]I would like to know whether or not you are willing to supply original game ideas regularly and be able to extend your ideas quickly while keeping indie budget and time limitations in mind.
sunandshadow
sunandshadow
Any particular genre of ideas? I'd be interested in designing a breeder tycoon sim, or a tactical combat pet monster game, or maybe a sidescrolling arcade 'eater' where you upgrade yourself or home base - those are the three smallest-scale ideas I've been thinking about. In the past I've created larger-scale concepts like a single player RPG, an adventure game, an MMO, and an RTS. Mostly I design concepts that are on the cute/funny/romantic end of the spectrum, so if you want dark/horror/hardcore I'm not the right person for the job.
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.
gavengaven
gavengaven
Hello,

I may be interested to act as designer for your games. I happen to have plenty and more ideas for games. In addition I usually make very thoroughly detailed game docs for my games.

I would be interested in a couple of things:

  • How dedicated your team is? Because most teams here last several weeks, just an educated guess and previous experience though.
  • Approximately how much attention can you give the project in hours per week?
  • Any team member with any project management experience or exceptional organisation skills?
  • Do you have plans to recruit more people along the way?
  • How exactly the designer would be compensated? It is usually problematic to measure correctly how much the input worth for the project.
    Feedback:

    "Indie budget and time limitation" - You have to solve one of these in my opinion to have any success. You either have plenty of time or plenty of money. It just doesnt seem to work without both.
DarrenAcenas
DarrenAcenas
Hello TTT_Dutch, I'm looking for people who want to develop games but are in the need for a brain stormer for game concepts and stories such as myself.
I love playing games, and definitely have the same opinion in creating a new fps which is as you've mentioned earlier " do not offer FPS games unless they are completely different from the rest."

For starters I have an idea for a story which I've presently not written, but would be about a guy called "The Son of the South-East" (I'm from South-East Asia),
and another guy known as the "Eastern Son" in a tale that takes them with and against the Gods and Demons of the different beliefs in this world.

I currently have more ideas into progressing this idea/story and have already begun my conceptualization process starting with it's setting. If you're interested, I will tell you the story.
TTT_Dutch
TTT_Dutch

Any particular genre of ideas? I'd be interested in designing a breeder tycoon sim, or a tactical combat pet monster game, or maybe a sidescrolling arcade 'eater' where you upgrade yourself or home base - those are the three smallest-scale ideas I've been thinking about. In the past I've created larger-scale concepts like a single player RPG, an adventure game, an MMO, and an RTS. Mostly I design concepts that are on the cute/funny/romantic end of the spectrum, so if you want dark/horror/hardcore I'm not the right person for the job.


Well we are looking at games that are based on creativity and puzzles. Like being able to build and maybe solve puzzles at the same time. I think we already have a base for the game but someone to think of more (practical) ideas.

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]

Hello,

I may be interested to act as designer for your games. I happen to have plenty and more ideas for games. In addition I usually make very thoroughly detailed game docs for my games.

I would be interested in a couple of things:

  • How dedicated your team is? Because most teams here last several weeks, just an educated guess and previous experience though.
  • Approximately how much attention can you give the project in hours per week?
  • Any team member with any project management experience or exceptional organisation skills?
  • Do you have plans to recruit more people along the way?
  • How exactly the designer would be compensated? It is usually problematic to measure correctly how much the input worth for the project.
    Feedback:

    "Indie budget and time limitation" - You have to solve one of these in my opinion to have any success. You either have plenty of time or plenty of money. It just doesnt seem to work without both.


[/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]1. Our team is very dedicated due to the fact that Tapped drives all of us forward and we are all friends and able to code very often.[/font]
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][/font]

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]2. Since it is summer I can give very much attention to the project (about an average of 7-8 hours a day)[/font]

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font]3.Tapped has experience with teams and he is good at organizing and making sure everything we do is the same (EX: He makes sure that we all code in the same format, Hungarian)

4.We do have more plans to recruit an artist as we have only been building all the "engine" type stuff now. But we will only recruit what we need. I would rather have a strong small team than a big weak one.

5.The designer would be payed based on how much he gave to the project. I cant tell you now what that will be but say if we make $3,000, and the designer thought of the whole game and every idea, he would probably get like $400-500 (We do kinda have to split it up between the team)
DarrenAcenas
DarrenAcenas
How about puzzle city/puzzle maker? Like this other game that has you building roller coasters of different calibers with different requirements to meet, then you test drive the coaster and see if you pass the client's request. It could translate to your game as the player is set on the role of a puzzle designer, on a company that creates puzzle games. The player would create puzzles from building blocks (it would be like maze-building having to get the ball to the other end of the puzzle with requirements such as: "Required minimum number of bounces", or "Minimum number of tiles used." As the player clears each of his superior's request the game's difficulty of requirements and the puzzle size increases.
TTT_Dutch
TTT_Dutch

Hello TTT_Dutch, I'm looking for people who want to develop games but are in the need for a brain stormer for game concepts and stories such as myself.
I love playing games, and definitely have the same opinion in creating a new fps which is as you've mentioned earlier " do not offer FPS games unless they are completely different from the rest."

For starters I have an idea for a story which I've presently not written, but would be about a guy called "The Son of the South-East" (I'm from South-East Asia),
and another guy known as the "Eastern Son" in a tale that takes them with and against the Gods and Demons of the different beliefs in this world.

I currently have more ideas into progressing this idea/story and have already begun my conceptualization process starting with it's setting. If you're interested, I will tell you the story.


Sorry I am a bit more interested in games that grasp the building and creativity type of things.
TTT_Dutch
TTT_Dutch

How about puzzle city/puzzle maker? Like this other game that has you building roller coasters of different calibers with different requirements to meet, then you test drive the coaster and see if you pass the client's request. It could translate to your game as the player is set on the role of a puzzle designer, on a company that creates puzzle games. The player would create puzzles from building blocks (it would be like maze-building having to get the ball to the other end of the puzzle with requirements such as: "Required minimum number of bounces", or "Minimum number of tiles used." As the player clears each of his superior's request the game's difficulty of requirements and the puzzle size increases.


Hmm, well that could be another project or maybe even an add on to a current one. But right now I am set on this new idea of a sandbox world with puzzles in it.
gavengaven
gavengaven
Thank you for the detailed answers.

Unfortunately I dont have much affinity for puzzle games.

I was thinking more along the line of a tower defense clone with great tactical options. Combining/transforming structures. Home base development and lots of achievements.
Caldtem
Caldtem

Thank you for the detailed answers.

Unfortunately I dont have much affinity for puzzle games.

I was thinking more along the line of a tower defense clone with great tactical options. Combining/transforming structures. Home base development and lots of achievements.


A tower defense could be altered in different ways to make it a puzzle game =0
sunandshadow
sunandshadow
I don't think I can do that either - puzzles in the context of an adventure game or a single player rpg are already challenging for me to design, but it seems counter-intuitive to put them in a sandbox environment.
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.
fayt
fayt
Project name: Adventures of Bear Mountain

Brief description: Main Character: Jiro Dragoon (Jiro = Second Born Son) Age: 21

Main Female Character: Cho Dragoon (Cho = Butterfly) Age: 19

The Dragoon siblings Jiro and Cho are adventurers from birth, they first set out on their first great adventure at the tender age of 12 and 10. Crossing the Alps of Bear Mountain, they were the first to charter to a new environment.

The Dragoons trained for years of the hidden monk talent called Krav Maga. (This eclectic close combat system uses wrestling, grappling, and striking to neutralize threats (even weapons) by any means necessary, often by attacking the body’s most vulnerable points.) the two are evenly matched using the same mind set.

Their biggest adventure yet lands them in the Forest of Music at a folk festival. It’s currently Cho’s 19[sup]th[/sup] birthday and they are celebrating it at the folk festival. During the event, a fire bomb is thrown at the stage, and fire is quickly spreading. Jiro and Cho turn around and catch a glimpse of a black knight on a horse running away.

Running to follow, Jiro removes his sacred blade, and Cho draws her butterfly spear.

Deep in the forest it appears the knight has gotten away, and all is quiet, Suddenly a branch snap is heard, and the black knight and two bandits emerge from the bushes. After some choice words, the black knight walks off, and the two bandits draw near Jiro and Cho. This is their first real fight. Upon defeating the bandits, it’s their mission to trail the black knight and go on a series of adventures that will lead them into trouble they never knew existed.

Jiro’s First Weapon: Legendary Kris of Virtue

Cho’s First Weapon: Butterfly Edge

Maximum Party: 4

Fighting Style: Turn Based

Allocation Points: Player Choice of Stats

Equipment: Weapon, Armor, Shield

Magic: None

World Map: Free Roaming

DarrenAcenas
DarrenAcenas
What do you have in mind in terms of your sandbox idea? Is it third person(the main char is on a city full of puzzles) or menu sandbox(you see the whole map and it's filled with puzzles)?
TTT_Dutch
TTT_Dutch

What do you have in mind in terms of your sandbox idea? Is it third person(the main char is on a city full of puzzles) or menu sandbox(you see the whole map and it's filled with puzzles)?


I am thinking of portals made of resources you must collect to access puzzles.
TTT_Dutch
TTT_Dutch

Project name: Adventures of Bear Mountain

Brief description: Main Character: Jiro Dragoon (Jiro = Second Born Son) Age: 21

Main Female Character: Cho Dragoon (Cho = Butterfly) Age: 19

The Dragoon siblings Jiro and Cho are adventurers from birth, they first set out on their first great adventure at the tender age of 12 and 10. Crossing the Alps of Bear Mountain, they were the first to charter to a new environment.

The Dragoons trained for years of the hidden monk talent called Krav Maga. (This eclectic close combat system uses wrestling, grappling, and striking to neutralize threats (even weapons) by any means necessary, often by attacking the body’s most vulnerable points.) the two are evenly matched using the same mind set.

Their biggest adventure yet lands them in the Forest of Music at a folk festival. It’s currently Cho’s 19[sup]th[/sup] birthday and they are celebrating it at the folk festival. During the event, a fire bomb is thrown at the stage, and fire is quickly spreading. Jiro and Cho turn around and catch a glimpse of a black knight on a horse running away.

Running to follow, Jiro removes his sacred blade, and Cho draws her butterfly spear.

Deep in the forest it appears the knight has gotten away, and all is quiet, Suddenly a branch snap is heard, and the black knight and two bandits emerge from the bushes. After some choice words, the black knight walks off, and the two bandits draw near Jiro and Cho. This is their first real fight. Upon defeating the bandits, it’s their mission to trail the black knight and go on a series of adventures that will lead them into trouble they never knew existed.

Jiro’s First Weapon: Legendary Kris of Virtue

Cho’s First Weapon: Butterfly Edge

Maximum Party: 4

Fighting Style: Turn Based

Allocation Points: Player Choice of Stats

Equipment: Weapon, Armor, Shield

Magic: None

World Map: Free Roaming




Sounds good but not really what I am looking to build.
TTT_Dutch
TTT_Dutch
Alright after so many responses I have already picked out a few guys that I want. So I am not accepting any more applicants.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.