Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🎮 Unity

Skybox suggestions

Started by Trigle Jun 26, 2011 at 6:36 AM 0 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
Trigle
Trigle
Originally I just created a cube with unshared vertices, manually applied my tex-coords and I was done. I'd create a 'crucifix' style cube map and wrap the texture around it. I'd make my box much larger scale than my surroundings whilst also transform its position to the camera position.

I'm assuming people use spheres to create their sky so that they can do faux reflections off surfaces?


What are peoples thoughts on how I should implement my skybox?
Hodgman
Hodgman
You can use a tool like cubemapgen to take your crucifix and turn it into a real cube map.

Using a cube-map, your sky geometry itself can be any shape (box, dome, etc) and it will look the same. You also don't have to transform it's position to the camera's position either (unless the camera is able to go outside of the box).

You can also use this cube-map texture on your objects to get fake sky reflections.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.