Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Google+ invites and Discussion

Started by Mayple Jul 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM 20 replies 4k views
Original Post
Mayple
Mayple
If your a curious little bug like me, then I am sure your wanting to get into the Google+ beta. I have up for grabs an unlimited amount of invites.

BEFORE I SEND AN INVITE:

**NOTE** These are not regular invites. These invites are for Web Developers, however everything is the same, you just get unlimited invites as well **END NOTE**

1. Be nice on Google+. When I invite you, your auto added to my circle. If your a douche on Google+ and just go around commenting on people being ignorant its going to reflect on me since I sent you the invite. Think of how Google wave was, someone got unlimited invites, threw it on the web, and a couple thousand asshats ruined the beta. Don't be a jerk, I can uninvite you just as fast as I invited you.

2. Its a beta, that means there are bugs, there are issues, its rough concepted, things don't work as intended.

3. I will be sending you an invite, which allows you to also invite people. These are not your normal run of the mill invites that just bring you in, you will also get invite powers.

4. When you get the invite, it may take a couple of hours to get in. Sometimes the system doesn't properly register that I invited you, thus you will get a stupid error saying that Google+ is full. Just wait an hour and click the invite link again. Sometimes its instant, sometimes it takes a few hours before the system allows the invite.

5. I don't require you to put me in a Circle of friends. I will also not charge you for the invite. If you invite someone and charge them for it, I will uninvite you which will univite all the people you invited. I am sure it will be hard to find out if your inviting people based on charging people, but I am a pretty smart guy. Fluffybunnykittens on this forum is probably the same Flufflybunnykittens on Google+ right now.

----------------
What I need from you:

In a PM, please send me your email that you want registered with Google+. If you want, make a temp email like a hotmail, yahoo, or gmail. Send me that one, and I will send the invite to them.

**NOTE if your using a disposable email, realize the email I send it to will be the only one allowed to click the link, they have some kind of tracking thing and forwarding the email from another service doesnt work.**

After signing up with your disposable email, you can send your real email an invite. Or you can just send me your normal email. I won't spam it.

----------------

[size="4"][color="#ff0000"]Please DO NOT rep me for sending you an invite!

----------------

To generate a topic for this thread, in here lets talk about what we like and dislike about Google+ thus far.

----------------
Pros:

-VERY FAST When the server is running on a good load, the service is lightning fast. The Ajax is amazing, as a web designer I tore into the availabe JS files they have loaded and my, I can honestly say there are some ways they did things that I would have never ever thought of. Genious.

-Very Clean, Facebook Style. They learned from Facebook on a sleek design.

-Love the Comment post up top right, and gmail intergration. Very tight intergrations with Gmail/Youtube/Picasa and more! Smart moves



[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]-------------------UPDATED LIST OF INVITES ------------------------------

-Invites up to 7/3/2011 650PM EST have been sent out.[/font] +8 Invites

-Invites up to 7/5/2011 1225PM UAE time have been sent out. +73 Invites
**Due to the large amount, you will be recieving them in chunks of 10, within 24 hours all should have an invite**
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care
not sure if I want an invite yet, but any cons for you yet? More interested in your thoughts than actually participating just now.
Binomine
Binomine
Thanks for the invite.

I read a review that it was google+ is a lot like a facebook, and it really does feel like what google would do if it ran facebook. Even the photo upload has features like removing red eye and cropping as you upload.

It IS a much improved facebook clone, but I'm not sure if I found anything that would make me switch, yet.
Hodgman
Hodgman
Thankssmile.gif
Haven't really used it yet. The 'circles' feature is something that FB has needed all along. The interface is very slick; everyone understands drag-n-drop -- trying to use FB's friend-group thingy seems like a typical "programmer UI" in comparison.
But this XKCD does resonate for some reason:
googleplus.png

It is kinda unsettling to willingly document your social relationships for an organisation as information-hungry as Google... but hey, it beats doing it for the CIA...

When I go into the 'circles' section, it's pulled in everyone from my Gmail account as a suggestion -- is there any way to get it to pull in my entire FB list too? FB is probably a lot of people's "contact list" these days, moreso than their email.
I went into the 'connected accounts' section and added FB, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything.
ChurchSkiz
ChurchSkiz
I'm withholding my reservations until I can actually use it. But I do remember the period of time when everyone was on MySpace and then Facebook opened up to everyone. I hated having to log in to both and try to refind all my friends. I don't think the world is ready for more than one really great social networking site. The great thing about FB is if I need to find someone, I know they are either on FB or they aren't doing social networking.
way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care

I'm withholding my reservations until I can actually use it. But I do remember the period of time when everyone was on MySpace and then Facebook opened up to everyone. I hated having to log in to both and try to refind all my friends. I don't think the world is ready for more than one really great social networking site. The great thing about FB is if I need to find someone, I know they are either on FB or they aren't doing social networking.


The largest selling point I can think of is that it is well integrated with all the other google services. Also I feel like google generally has better web design than facebook. Facebook feels like it has stagnated in it's tech as far as the end user is concerned and in some regards gone backwards.
Sirisian
Sirisian

It is kinda unsettling to willingly document your social relationships for an organization as information-hungry as Google... but hey, it beats doing it for the CIA...

I didn't have a facebook account, but when someone asked if I wanted a google+ invite I was like "well it's not facebook". Also to be fair google already has all your personal information. If you go to fill out a google form the only reason they don't automatically fill out every field for you is because it scares people. "Well that's nice it found my personal website and SSN and automatically correlated my forum habits and steam and facebook accounts to list out all my friends. That's not suspicious at all. Not sure how they got my phone's address list."
stupid_programmer
stupid_programmer
How is the gaming on Google+? Facebook is now forcing developers to use only their credit system of which they take 30% of any credits bought. Even though the amount of users is going to be much lower then Facebook for a long time I can see developers moving games over just for another revenue stream.
way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care

I didn't have a facebook account, but when someone asked if I wanted a google+ invite I was like "well it's not facebook". Also to be fair google already has all your personal information. If you go to fill out a google form the only reason they don't automatically fill out every field for you is because it scares people. "Well that's nice it found my personal website and SSN and automatically correlated my forum habits and steam and facebook accounts to list out all my friends. That's not suspicious at all. Not sure how they got my phone's address list."


I was frightened by the identifying birthmarks and blood type...
Mayple
Mayple

[quote name='Sirisian' timestamp='1309806448' post='4831090']
I didn't have a facebook account, but when someone asked if I wanted a google+ invite I was like "well it's not facebook". Also to be fair google already has all your personal information. If you go to fill out a google form the only reason they don't automatically fill out every field for you is because it scares people. "Well that's nice it found my personal website and SSN and automatically correlated my forum habits and steam and facebook accounts to list out all my friends. That's not suspicious at all. Not sure how they got my phone's address list."


I was frightened by the identifying birthmarks and blood type...
[/quote]

Haha, you should see the new feature they just rolled out. It learns which content you created by studying the way you write and how you sign/tag your name on things. Kinda internet stalkerish, its already called out Post from forums that I posted when my gaming name was Skydurk (Skydork was tanken, dont judge me). I never associated my name Mark to the account, however now if I use the tool it shows that it matches my writing format at 93%. Epic failure analyst.
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care

Haha, you should see the new feature they just rolled out. It learns which content you created by studying the way you write and how you sign/tag your name on things. Kinda internet stalkerish, its already called out Post from forums that I posted when my gaming name was Skydurk (Skydork was tanken, dont judge me). I never associated my name Mark to the account, however now if I use the tool it shows that it matches my writing format at 93%. Epic failure analyst.


where can I see this? I am curious to know how well it pegs me.
Prefect
Prefect

I'm withholding my reservations until I can actually use it. But I do remember the period of time when everyone was on MySpace and then Facebook opened up to everyone. I hated having to log in to both and try to refind all my friends. I don't think the world is ready for more than one really great social networking site. The great thing about FB is if I need to find someone, I know they are either on FB or they aren't doing social networking.


This is the one big problem with social networking right now.

We are missing what I would call a "social internet", i.e. a meta-network that connects individual social networks just like the early internet simply connected existing intra-organisation networks. As a result, each social network is an island, and the networking effects where the value of a network increases super-linearly with the number of people attached ensures that the size of a network is much more important for competitive success than the actual features or technology.

This is seriously problematic for a free market, since only someone who is already big for other reasons (in this case, Google) has a non-zero chance of entering it successfully. I sincerely hope that Google+ becomes successful to the point where Google and Facebook agree on some voluntary inter-op protocol that is open to everybody. Otherwise, we'll probably become stuck in a sub-optimal place until government regulation catches up to the problem.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
_moagstar_
_moagstar_
Is there an 'import my life from facebook' option?
ChurchSkiz
ChurchSkiz

Otherwise, we'll probably become stuck in a sub-optimal place until government regulation catches up to the problem.


Wow can't believe you went there... I don't want to live in that world.
landlocked
landlocked

Is there an 'import my life from facebook' option?

Unsure but you can export your facebook data. It's under Account Options I believe. I don't know if Google+ can read this export format but I'd sure like to find out, *poke Mayple*.
Always strive to be better than yourself.
way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care
Has anyone seen the new facebook sidebar chat thing?

I hate it. It won't let you scroll down anymore for any of the popups in facebook like images. You can only see the first comment on images now. I'm sure it's a bug, but it was super annoying. I also think it's stupid in general as it was fine before they made it take up an entire side of my browser.
Mayple
Mayple
I have 15 more invites that are going out tonight.

I apologize its taking so long. I will reply to you via PM when I send out your invite. I had a day without internet as a nasty dust storm caused a powerline to fail. GG.

-Mayple
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

zedz
zedz

Is there an 'import my life from facebook' option?
I heard on the radio a guy has written a tool that does that
but facebook have blocked it, though hes trying work around it so fingers crossed
remember all of your information in facebook, facebook owns thus they dont have to give it to you
vrok137
vrok137
I have been hearing lots about Google+ recently through many web news outlets. Much of what I've read about is the ability to partition contacts into circles and what-not, and some vaguely described features that allow you to share images or search results across your circles. IMO, there is nothing really earth-shattering about this new service, has anyone else witnessed otherwise?

Plus, I wonder how Google+ compares with other social media ventures like Diaspora (assuming the two are even comparable in the first place)?
d000hg
d000hg
I don't know I would call FaceBook "slick design". I'm interested in Google's take on it though - some things sounded interesting although quality isn't enough to succeed alone.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.