Original Post
I’m doing the initial analysis on how to best to include micro transactions as part of the core game design, and I’m curious if anyone has played a game in which they feel micro transactions were done well?
So far I’ve seen the following examples of them included in games:
Accelerators and Boosters - Essentially players pay in game currency to speed up the game experience. Level faster, teleport to locations, get better item drops, reduce elapsed time.
Premium Gear - The best gear/items/and abilities are only available to player who purchase them.
Dehandicap - Essentially the free experience is so limited that the player feels handicapped and the only way to get a decent experience is pay to unlock features.
The only game I can think did micro transactions well would be back in the day when I used to play magic the gathering. In that case you bought booster packs to get more cards which gave you more choices when it came to deck design and hopefully access to better cards. Which is the same approach I’m looking to take.
So, what are peoples thoughts how have you seen micro transactions done well in the past?
So far I’ve seen the following examples of them included in games:
Accelerators and Boosters - Essentially players pay in game currency to speed up the game experience. Level faster, teleport to locations, get better item drops, reduce elapsed time.
Premium Gear - The best gear/items/and abilities are only available to player who purchase them.
Dehandicap - Essentially the free experience is so limited that the player feels handicapped and the only way to get a decent experience is pay to unlock features.
The only game I can think did micro transactions well would be back in the day when I used to play magic the gathering. In that case you bought booster packs to get more cards which gave you more choices when it came to deck design and hopefully access to better cards. Which is the same approach I’m looking to take.
So, what are peoples thoughts how have you seen micro transactions done well in the past?