Original Post
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering about the current state of ATI drivers on Linux (specifically the 64 bit version). I've used nVidia for years because of the excellent driver quality and compatibility with OpenGL features and extensions. This time, however, I'm considering switching to a multi-monitor setup. ATI's multi-display seems much better than nVidia's, at least currently. So this is why I'm asking about the state of ATI drivers on Linux: I'd switch to ATI if the drivers and OpenGL support is decent, because of the multi-display setup. Otherwise I'm sticking with nVidia and single display.
I've had issues with ATI drivers on Linux in the past, regarding stability and unsupported or subpar quality OpenGL extensions and features.
BTW, I've always used the proprietary drivers, for both brands, so no problems sticking to those instead of using the open source ones.
Also, please note I have absolutely no intention of starting any war of any sort (flame, ice, whatever), so please keep your trolls under the bridge, dragons in the cave, etc - I've been a long time away from ATI so I'm basically asking for an update on the status-quo. Things like serious known issues, unsupported features, OpenGL versions, etc. Also, since this is specifically for real-time 3D, I thought I'd ask it here first .
Cheers!
I'm wondering about the current state of ATI drivers on Linux (specifically the 64 bit version). I've used nVidia for years because of the excellent driver quality and compatibility with OpenGL features and extensions. This time, however, I'm considering switching to a multi-monitor setup. ATI's multi-display seems much better than nVidia's, at least currently. So this is why I'm asking about the state of ATI drivers on Linux: I'd switch to ATI if the drivers and OpenGL support is decent, because of the multi-display setup. Otherwise I'm sticking with nVidia and single display.
I've had issues with ATI drivers on Linux in the past, regarding stability and unsupported or subpar quality OpenGL extensions and features.
BTW, I've always used the proprietary drivers, for both brands, so no problems sticking to those instead of using the open source ones.
Also, please note I have absolutely no intention of starting any war of any sort (flame, ice, whatever), so please keep your trolls under the bridge, dragons in the cave, etc - I've been a long time away from ATI so I'm basically asking for an update on the status-quo. Things like serious known issues, unsupported features, OpenGL versions, etc. Also, since this is specifically for real-time 3D, I thought I'd ask it here first .
Cheers!