Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Vertex Buffer Objects and Animation

Started by PSNB Jul 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM 1 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
PSNB
PSNB
I've been studying OpenGL rather heavily for the past few weeks and have finally decided to experiment with my own programs to get a better feel for the language. One question that arose is how I should go about handling animation in a program that would have many of the same models on screen at once (like an MMORPG, for example).

Would I create a new VBO for each instance of the model? Or would I just manipulate the same VBO multiple times per frame? Or should I take an entirely different approach?
21st Century Moose
21st Century Moose
Either use a dynamic VBO or - preferably - use a model format/animation system that lets you animate in your vertex shader.
Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls. 
PSNB
PSNB
Okay, thanks a lot, I appreciate the help, I'll look into it.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.