Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Creating an image using formulas

Started by SRTI Jul 27, 2011 at 7:02 PM 1 replies 1k views
Original Post
SRTI
SRTI
Hello everyone,

I am trying to have a program made (in the Help Wanted forum) where I can create transparent glass objects, then test them with a laser tool like this existing program:[attachment=4545:Bending light.jpg]

I need to be able to make unusual shapes like these: [attachment=4546:shapes.jpg], but still be able to have the exact measurement of the borders for the precise measurement of the incoming light angle:[attachment=4547:snells law.jpg]. I think that if given a line, circle, and curved line tool, I could make just about any shape. I would also need some way to also say where is air, and where is glass. Maybe select the border type when using the line, circle, and curved line?

Does anyone know of an existing way, or a how this could be done?

Thank you for your advice,
SRTI
The_Neverending_Loop
The_Neverending_Loop
I created something very similair to this a few years back, The way I did it was only using Lines tho,

Approximate your circles and curves with lines, the higher resolution = more lines.

Simplifying everything to lines is going to GREATLY simplify your code and application robustness, and then let Linear/Vector Algebra take it from there
SRTI
SRTI

I created something very similair to this a few years back, The way I did it was only using Lines tho,

Approximate your circles and curves with lines, the higher resolution = more lines.

Simplifying everything to lines is going to GREATLY simplify your code and application robustness, and then let Linear/Vector Algebra take it from there


Hard drive space isn't an issue, so I could have as many small lines as my laptop can take! Thanks for that great suggestion.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.