Original Post
Hey, whatsup gamedev community?
My name's Erick and I have been programming for awhile but never went beyond game maker's boundaries and GML, and it's also creating some bad programming habits as I'm trying to find something else to move to that's A.) Faster, B.) More Powerful, and C.) did I say faster?
Before I begin I will say I'm a 2D artist so obviously I'll be creating a 2D game, so I'll be looking at a mix of 2d/3d engines out in safari.
Now that we established I'm more of an artist than a programmer but I also do like coding as well as I like to piece my game together and make it fun, that's what game making has always been like for me fun.
Now let's actually get to the topic shall we? I'm basically trying to move out from game maker and looking for a comfortable place to start, I have heard some good things about blitzmax and decent things about torque2D which I own btw. What I don't like Torque 2D and it's really irritating is that it scales my sprites which I don't want it to, sure it's nice if you want a higher res game than well your sprites/art should be high res, not the other way around if your art is for a 640X480 game but your game window is at 500X300. It just doesn't look good as it should with torque 2d, but not really a fan of how Torque script is set out..
I have tried XNA in the past and C# in some way's does remind me of GML but every time I create a tile-map the map seems to create white stripes across the screen.
My specs are.
- 2X Radeon 6970 2G Vram
- 12TB HDD
- 100GB DDR3 1066mhz Ram
- 2 6-core Xeon CPUs 4.2GHZ
HP Z800 pretty close to maxed out basically so I shouldn't really have these issues with tile-maps as it doesn't have with C++.
My name's Erick and I have been programming for awhile but never went beyond game maker's boundaries and GML, and it's also creating some bad programming habits as I'm trying to find something else to move to that's A.) Faster, B.) More Powerful, and C.) did I say faster?
Before I begin I will say I'm a 2D artist so obviously I'll be creating a 2D game, so I'll be looking at a mix of 2d/3d engines out in safari.
Now that we established I'm more of an artist than a programmer but I also do like coding as well as I like to piece my game together and make it fun, that's what game making has always been like for me fun.
Now let's actually get to the topic shall we? I'm basically trying to move out from game maker and looking for a comfortable place to start, I have heard some good things about blitzmax and decent things about torque2D which I own btw. What I don't like Torque 2D and it's really irritating is that it scales my sprites which I don't want it to, sure it's nice if you want a higher res game than well your sprites/art should be high res, not the other way around if your art is for a 640X480 game but your game window is at 500X300. It just doesn't look good as it should with torque 2d, but not really a fan of how Torque script is set out..
I have tried XNA in the past and C# in some way's does remind me of GML but every time I create a tile-map the map seems to create white stripes across the screen.
My specs are.
- 2X Radeon 6970 2G Vram
- 12TB HDD
- 100GB DDR3 1066mhz Ram
- 2 6-core Xeon CPUs 4.2GHZ
HP Z800 pretty close to maxed out basically so I shouldn't really have these issues with tile-maps as it doesn't have with C++.