Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Android 3d engines

Started by Alpha Nox Aug 11, 2011 at 12:36 AM 8 replies 19.7k views
Original Post
Alpha Nox
Alpha Nox
Hello everyone,

What free Android 3d game engines do you recommend? I would be grateful if you could point me toward a site reviewing some of them as I could only find really simple lists with short descriptions and no pros&cons.

In case it helps your recommendations, I plan on using it for a 3-month university project and never used such an engine before. But I have a reasonably good knowledge of Linear Algebra and am currently studying 3d math. =)

Any help appreciated.


Thanks in advance,
Victor Freire
Alpha Nox
Alpha Nox

[font="Arial"] [/font]Well it natively supports opengl 2.0 ES, and there’s a 3d party 3d engine called unity which works on android. There might a be few other out there as well.




Thanks for the answer but I don't have time to code opengl directly and from what I seen Unity is a whole game development platform.

So far I found these three:

jMonkeyEngine:
http://jmonkeyengine.org/

Ardor3d:
http://www.ardor3d.com/

jPCT-AE (port of jPCT):
http://www.jpct.net/jpct-ae/


I had a quick look at jMonkey. It seems good but it's still in alpha stage and I don't know if it's usable.


Cheers,
Victor Freire
SriLumpa
SriLumpa
Libgdx is nice. It lets you run your application on your PC for easier testing (natively, without the emulator).
code_zombie
code_zombie
I just wrote my own 3d engine for Deadly Dungeons. It was actually fairly easy to do. If you are creating something relatively simple, then I doubt you will run into too much trouble. In fact, you may want to limit yourself to something simple since there are plenty of limitations with Android.

Since you likely haven't done much 3d stuff yet, you may want to create your demos on the PC. You will likely find more resources and have an easier time versus doing it on Android.
Katie
Katie
Ogre has a port to Android although looking at the details it seems fiddly.

Marmalade has a free licence for academic use.
nulinuli
nulinuli
I will recommend unity not only because it export to unity but also to iOS and web. depend on your project but for us its really easy to to keep code unified and simple. Build once and export to multiple platforms.
NuliNuli admin
nEngine Physics - Quality engine to create AS3 Physics Games
Ruggostein
Ruggostein
Unity for Android is not free though.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.