Original Post
I'm doing quest design this week, and I'll get into the specific theme I'm working with below. But I thought I'd give this thread a more general focus and invite you all to share any tips or theories you have about how to design quests that feel meaningful to the player within the context of the game's world or the character's (racial or class) personality. Also feel free to ask any question you have about quests, theme, or anything related.
So the particular theme I am working with is this (you may recognize it from a previous thread about MMO story design): The player character belongs to a race which has a magical affinity for nature/life. The two opposing forces are entropy and chaos. Activities within the game include killing monsters, capturing monsters, breeding monsters, growing plants, repairing and constructing buildings, and helping out NPCs. The first post-tutorial area of the game is an area of the game which has fallen into disrepair. Anyone who has played some Harvest Moon games may recognize the set-up. The player's task is to clean up the messes and restore the area to a fruitful order. So what sort of specific quests would make good steps of this overall task? I'll post what I came up with later.
You all may, if you like, propose quests for this theme, and/or you may describe a theme of your own and discuss how you went about brainstorming quests for that theme, and what sort of help you would like for further quests related to that theme.
So the particular theme I am working with is this (you may recognize it from a previous thread about MMO story design): The player character belongs to a race which has a magical affinity for nature/life. The two opposing forces are entropy and chaos. Activities within the game include killing monsters, capturing monsters, breeding monsters, growing plants, repairing and constructing buildings, and helping out NPCs. The first post-tutorial area of the game is an area of the game which has fallen into disrepair. Anyone who has played some Harvest Moon games may recognize the set-up. The player's task is to clean up the messes and restore the area to a fruitful order. So what sort of specific quests would make good steps of this overall task? I'll post what I came up with later.
You all may, if you like, propose quests for this theme, and/or you may describe a theme of your own and discuss how you went about brainstorming quests for that theme, and what sort of help you would like for further quests related to that theme.