Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Vogelstein 2D for Android

Started by Horup Aug 14, 2011 at 3:57 AM 10 replies 4.8k views
Original Post
Horup
Horup
I have just released Vogelstein 2D forAndroid, a top-down shooter heavily inspired by the game mechanics and settingsof Wolfenstein 3D. The game is currently available on the Android Market, and can be downloaded free of charge: https://market.andro...elstein.android

Video available at: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IyLdSlzgOJI

Vogelstein 2D can best be described as a reenactment or demake of Wolfenstein 3D. The game features many of the same enemies from Wolfenstein 3D, many of the same weapons, and many of the same game mechanics, e.g. walls that can be pushed.

Features of Vogelstein 2D includes:

- 10 levels filled with treasure, hiddenrooms and enemies.
- Enemies ranging from attack dogs to SS officers wielding machineguns.
- Three types of guns.
- Melee attack to overcome close foes.
- Three difficulty levels: easy, medium and hard.

I started development of Vogelstein 2D in December 2009, where my aim was to develop a simple World War II top-downshooter for non-touch J2ME enabled phones, and release it on Nokia’s Ovi storein the 1-2€ price range. I finished the game in December 2010 and it waspublished in February on Nokia’s Ovi store (http://store.ovi.com/content/67489). And have since that time worked and completed the Android version.

The engine is that of my own creation. It isa simple 2D tile based engine, with all maps being 64 x 64 tiles. The AIs in the game are simple finite state machines and uses A* to navigate the map. The engine currently runs on Android and in a Java applet (implemented using LWJGL). The latter allows me to more easily debug and implement features in the game.

The screenshots are from the actual Android implementation, while the promo video is from the Applet version.

Apart from the code, I have drawn and animated all sprites and textures used within the game. The only parts which I did not do are the sound effects. With regards to the creation of the maps, I wrote a simple map editor in C# using WinForms, nothing fancy.

I intend to reuse the engine for my future games, and continue the story of Vogelstein.

Comments are very welcome.

Thanks!

Click here to view the iotd
Horup
Horup
Thanks.

What bugs did you encounter?
Horup
Horup
No, the game is only available on the Android market.
The reason being that it is extremely easy to push updates to clients.
Yours3!f
Yours3!f
umm for example sometimes when I respawn my gun starts to shoot and it doesn't stop. and sometimes the virtual stick stucks. I'm on ZTE Blade with CM 7.1 RC1 (android 2.3.4). Also when there are lot of enemies and I'm shooting wildly with that minigun the game lags as hell. To add I'm at the final boss now, and since I started the game with the hard level it is impossible to kill him
Horup
Horup
Thanks for the bug report.

I think the lag is due to your 600Mhz CPU, and my "excessive" use of sound effects.
I will try to limit the number sound effects a bit when I get the time, which should improve the performance a lot.

With regards to the "stickiness" of the virtual D-Pad and buttons, I will look into it. :-)

Horup
Horup
Oh - and I will re-balance the final boss at hard (yeah I did make him very tough on hard).
O-san
O-san
Looks like a fun game! Sadly I don't own an Android phone
Horup
Horup
I am currently re-implementing the engine in a subset of Java 1.6 such that I can crosscompile it to Android, Desktop and JavaScript.
Hopefully, the JavaScript VM's out there are fast enough for my game.
VaultNews
VaultNews
Hey man. It's a pretty good game and it's cheap too. By the way, some guy already made a review for it:
Voglstein brought back memories...
??? Legen... wait for it... dary Game Art for your every needs! ???
Horup
Horup
Thank you very much! I am also pretty happy with the results :-)
And yeah! saw the review. He found a couple of bugs that needs fixing it seems.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.