Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

XNA for Windows Phone 7 & existing assemblies

Started by SiS-Shadowman Aug 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM 2 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
SiS-Shadowman
SiS-Shadowman
I have to develop an application for windows phone 7 using xna (for a course in university) and I'm wondering whether I can reuse .net assemblies without compiling them with some specific switches (by default, a windows phone 7 game does have the WINDOWS_PHONE symbol defined). The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to use squid for this project (I don't want to spent a month or more on a problem that has been solved by too many devs before...), however visual studio complains about not being able to find the namespace Squid, although I have explicitly added the assembly to my project's references. The same code compiles fine when using in a regular XNA Game project.

Is there a way to use Squid or do I need to roll my own (or is there another GUI alternative)?

Machaira
Machaira
It would depend on the assembly. In this case, it doesn't look like it's possible.
Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development
SiS-Shadowman
SiS-Shadowman
Do you have a link to a technical description as to why this cannot be done in all cases? Or maybe could you explain it to me?

According to checkasm, Squid references the mscorlib, System.Xml and System assembly, all of which should be available to WP7 (at least a default xna/wp7 project references those as well). However the built project references Version 2.0.5.0 of those assemblies, whereas Squid references Version 2.0.0.0.

What is the point in having an intermediate language if I have to rebuilt my assemblies against another target? The whole point of a VM is to offer a unified platform, is it not?

chlerub
chlerub

Do you have a link to a technical description as to why this cannot be done in all cases? Or maybe could you explain it to me?

According to checkasm, Squid references the mscorlib, System.Xml and System assembly, all of which should be available to WP7 (at least a default xna/wp7 project references those as well). However the built project references Version 2.0.5.0 of those assemblies, whereas Squid references Version 2.0.0.0.

What is the point in having an intermediate language if I have to rebuilt my assemblies against another target? The whole point of a VM is to offer a unified platform, is it not?





Did this problem persist? Or did you solve it?
I'm the author of Squid - you can contact me via PM or email (i'm german too btw).

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.