Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Ready to start SDL?

Started by chosenkill6 Aug 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM 6 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
chosenkill6
chosenkill6
So i have been learning c++ for a while now, and while i may not be good enough to be called an experienced programmer i have learned quite a bit. My question is, am i ready to learn SDL? How much c++ should i know in order to effectively code with SDL? Also what are some good books to learn SDL from?
Wooh
Wooh
Note that SDL is a C library so you don't need to know all the special features in C++ to use it. I would say you are ready to learn SDL. I only know one book about SDL, and I have never read it so I can't say anything about it. I think most people learn SDL from what they find on the web. Lazy Foo's tutorials is a common starting point for beginners. The documentation pages is also a good place to look up information.
Ezbez
Ezbez
If you have a good grasp of pointers and are comfortable designing a small project from scratch, then you'll be fine. Also consider learning SFML instead. It's written in a C++ style and is quite nice. SFML is GPU accelerated since it's based on OpenGL.
CoffeeSlave
CoffeeSlave
Another here recommending SFML. I'm relatively new to C++ and programming, but I picked up SFML quicker than SDL and had my first (badly made) game finished in two days. Since the library is easier to learn it gives you room to focus on the language and the problems that you want to solve.
Wooh
Wooh
Why is it that every time someone want to learn SDL, a group of SFML lovers comes and say that SFML is better? Is this really relevant to what the question is about?
return0
return0
Because sfml is better than sdl and it's entirely appropriate to tell a beginner about this when they ask if they should usd sdl?
chosenkill6
chosenkill6
Yeah well I've already looked into both and I think SDL is the way to go just because it's been around for longer and seems to be the standard for new game programmers.
return0
return0
Nah

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.