Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Newcomer

Started by LukeSutton Aug 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM 2 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
LukeSutton
LukeSutton
I apologize if there is a better place to do this but I didn't see one in my brief scan of the list of forums. I have been working on a game idea for close to 10 years now, some of that time I was thinking through things involving the game while dealing with rl and others I was working on different parts of it planning to put it all together when I feel it is closer to completion. My idea is from my love of trading card games and pretty much it is a card game that is played with miniatures on a board and because of my current situation (being on a fixed income) I have decided to start it off as an online game rather then investing the money right away to buy the inventory to make it a physical game. I am well versed in HTML (even made a mock up of the game board in html and the document came out to 64 pages when I copied it onto Microsoft Word for the fun of it) and currently am trying to learn Java but wish to learn how to do the programming myself for the game to cut down on over head. If anyone has any suggestions or questions both are welcomed but I am here mostly hoping for advice on what to and not to avoid.
Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper
I am here mostly hoping for advice on what to and not to avoid.

Assuming you're contemplating making your game yourself, I advise you to read this forum's FAQs (scroll up, click, read). Also serapth has written an FAQ, you can find it by looking for his name on this forum. I've written one, too: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson56.htm
And if you decide to form a team to make the game, forget the all-too-common "I'll pay you when the game makes money" idea:
http://www.igda.org/games-game-september-2008
http://www.igda.org/games-game-october-2008
http://www.igda.org/games-game-june-2010
And if you think you can sell your idea to a publisher, read:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/idea.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson11.htm
-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
RoyCHill
RoyCHill
maybe an HTML+javascript game would be very easy to make.


I apologize if there is a better place to do this but I didn't see one in my brief scan of the list of forums. I have been working on a game idea for close to 10 years now, some of that time I was thinking through things involving the game while dealing with rl and others I was working on different parts of it planning to put it all together when I feel it is closer to completion. My idea is from my love of trading card games and pretty much it is a card game that is played with miniatures on a board and because of my current situation (being on a fixed income) I have decided to start it off as an online game rather then investing the money right away to buy the inventory to make it a physical game. I am well versed in HTML (even made a mock up of the game board in html and the document came out to 64 pages when I copied it onto Microsoft Word for the fun of it) and currently am trying to learn Java but wish to learn how to do the programming myself for the game to cut down on over head. If anyone has any suggestions or questions both are welcomed but I am here mostly hoping for advice on what to and not to avoid.
General Studies A.S - College of Southern Nevada 2003 GPA 2.3

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.