Original Post
I have an interesting question that (hopefully) can be answered relatively simply.
Background:
I take a top-down view of things. That means when I want to start working on a project, I start by figuring out what will be required (in a big-picture sense).
My partner and I have recently completed the design for an online multi-player game (probably best fitting the MMORTS genre). The game somewhat resembles games like: AstroEmpires, Planetarion, Ferion, Utopia, etc. (Some of you will probably be familiar with the games I'm talking about). I have some experience with programming languages, but only on the "ground" level. (Years ago, during the windows 3.1 era I created several applications with visual basic, for example, and I know enough HTML to create a functional web page. I also have a basic understanding of the object-oriented programming model, etc.)
I'm aware of the scope of the project I'm embarking on. I'm not joking around, and I have some resources I can bring to bear on the project, but I need to figure out where to START as far as the programming side of this goes, so if some folks who know a little more than I do would give me some pointers as far as direction, I would really appreciate it.
What the project requires:
A database back-end to store "everything" (including player info, galaxy map info, resources, etc - thus "everything").
A web browser "front-end" for user interface
This MUST include a 3-dimensional "galaxy map" that can be manipulated by the user (both to change perspective and to select elements inside the map).
In regard to this map, what I envision is something resembling Google maps or Wikisky (zoom in, zoom out, search for and highlight certain features, click to access info), but NOT using pixel-based imaging, instead relying on a simple database of coordinate-based points (stars) WITHOUT associated pixel data rendered based on current user camera perspective.
This MUST be available through a web browser interface.
Now the optional part:
I know that the above is possible using current technology (really not even that difficult, tech-wise, even though some of the spatial-reference issues could make your eyes cross). What I would LIKE to do is to pre-load star position data from the server and cache it on the user's computer, then use the USER's computer to render the star map from a given perspective, without using server resources. I'm not certain whether this is possible without creating a user-end application. Is it?
If this is NOT possible, I still want to reduce the load on the server as much as possible. I see several possible options for this, especially if I understand correctly how database requests are handled and how the user's computer can be utilized in rendering (For example, any time the user clicks and "drags" to rotate the camera, based on its focal point, if I can't pre-cache and use the user's machine to render the map in real time as it rotates, could I instead just show a compass for reference, then only render the final image once the user has released the mouse button?)
The problem is, I only have a general understanding of these concepts, so I don't know specifically which programming languages (and which technology) to dig into and start learning.
So, the simplified question is --
What are my options for languages in which to create this application, back end, etc and what are the pros and cons of each?
Thoughts are appreciated.
*EDIT*
[color=#1C2837][size=2] this is what I've gotten so far:
Dynamic rendering and map interface:
[color=#1C2837][size=2]html5, flash or silverlight, possibly Unity (though after looking at that, it seems like a bit more than I need)
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Web front-end:
[color=#1C2837][size=2]html (obviously), CSS, javascript, .ASPX
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Middle tier:
C# or java, (with C# being favored), along with possibly php? the .net framework (Not quite sure how to categorize, but it has to be in there somewhere.)
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Database end:
MySQL or MSSQL
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]I'm sure I've mis-categorized a couple of these, but that's the general gist of things.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]I WAS hoping for some pro/con info on them and other opinions, but I'll take what I can get.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Thanks again, (and as I said, any further feedback is welcome
Background:
I take a top-down view of things. That means when I want to start working on a project, I start by figuring out what will be required (in a big-picture sense).
My partner and I have recently completed the design for an online multi-player game (probably best fitting the MMORTS genre). The game somewhat resembles games like: AstroEmpires, Planetarion, Ferion, Utopia, etc. (Some of you will probably be familiar with the games I'm talking about). I have some experience with programming languages, but only on the "ground" level. (Years ago, during the windows 3.1 era I created several applications with visual basic, for example, and I know enough HTML to create a functional web page. I also have a basic understanding of the object-oriented programming model, etc.)
I'm aware of the scope of the project I'm embarking on. I'm not joking around, and I have some resources I can bring to bear on the project, but I need to figure out where to START as far as the programming side of this goes, so if some folks who know a little more than I do would give me some pointers as far as direction, I would really appreciate it.
What the project requires:
A database back-end to store "everything" (including player info, galaxy map info, resources, etc - thus "everything").
A web browser "front-end" for user interface
This MUST include a 3-dimensional "galaxy map" that can be manipulated by the user (both to change perspective and to select elements inside the map).
In regard to this map, what I envision is something resembling Google maps or Wikisky (zoom in, zoom out, search for and highlight certain features, click to access info), but NOT using pixel-based imaging, instead relying on a simple database of coordinate-based points (stars) WITHOUT associated pixel data rendered based on current user camera perspective.
This MUST be available through a web browser interface.
Now the optional part:
I know that the above is possible using current technology (really not even that difficult, tech-wise, even though some of the spatial-reference issues could make your eyes cross). What I would LIKE to do is to pre-load star position data from the server and cache it on the user's computer, then use the USER's computer to render the star map from a given perspective, without using server resources. I'm not certain whether this is possible without creating a user-end application. Is it?
If this is NOT possible, I still want to reduce the load on the server as much as possible. I see several possible options for this, especially if I understand correctly how database requests are handled and how the user's computer can be utilized in rendering (For example, any time the user clicks and "drags" to rotate the camera, based on its focal point, if I can't pre-cache and use the user's machine to render the map in real time as it rotates, could I instead just show a compass for reference, then only render the final image once the user has released the mouse button?)
The problem is, I only have a general understanding of these concepts, so I don't know specifically which programming languages (and which technology) to dig into and start learning.
So, the simplified question is --
What are my options for languages in which to create this application, back end, etc and what are the pros and cons of each?
Thoughts are appreciated.
*EDIT*
[color=#1C2837][size=2] this is what I've gotten so far:
Dynamic rendering and map interface:
[color=#1C2837][size=2]html5, flash or silverlight, possibly Unity (though after looking at that, it seems like a bit more than I need)
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Web front-end:
[color=#1C2837][size=2]html (obviously), CSS, javascript, .ASPX
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Middle tier:
C# or java, (with C# being favored), along with possibly php? the .net framework (Not quite sure how to categorize, but it has to be in there somewhere.)
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Database end:
MySQL or MSSQL
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]I'm sure I've mis-categorized a couple of these, but that's the general gist of things.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]I WAS hoping for some pro/con info on them and other opinions, but I'll take what I can get.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Thanks again, (and as I said, any further feedback is welcome