Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Visual Studio 2010 Pro speed issues fixed?

Started by irreversible Oct 2, 2011 at 7:59 PM 9 replies 3k views
Original Post
irreversible
irreversible
It's difficult to get up-to-date info on this from the web. I understand when the software was first released it was bugged as hell on many systems (particularly speed and responsiveness wise). However most information that I can find is pretty dated. Comparing to 2008 (which I love!), have they fixed their IDE problems? I've also read some controversial stuff about compiler speed (which, while considerably slower, is said to be producing faster executing code) - have they patched this as well in any way?


Bottom line is I'm considering upgrading and based on most reviews (which were written a while ago) I don't see a point unless MS have successfully patched everything. I'm not working on massive projects; however I build a lot while jumping between a hefty number of files simultaneously while editing, so compiler and IDE speeds are pretty important to me.
Erik Rufelt
Erik Rufelt
Download the Express version and try it.
irreversible
irreversible

Download the Express version and try it.


Ah! Here's another catch - I picked up somewhere that the Express version never really had any of these problems (at least to such an extent). Can't post links to my sources, though - I spent something like 2-3 hours reading forum posts on people bitching about VS today...
irreversible
irreversible

I seriously doubt that. What feature of the Pro version do you require?
You can download the Pro version for free also, as a 30-90 day trial. http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=2890


Primarily the ability to run plugins (I'm not sure if there's a difference between the two in terms of the debugger) - all the database stuff etc isn't what I need. Also, I'm slightly concerned about how Express handles solutions - although my impressions are based purely on what I've read (which hasn't been all that clear). Trying out the trial is a great idea - I'm not sure why I didn't think of that right off the bat
ranakor
ranakor

[quote name='Erik Rufelt' timestamp='1317590827' post='4868391']
I seriously doubt that. What feature of the Pro version do you require?
You can download the Pro version for free also, as a 30-90 day trial. http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=2890


Primarily the ability to run plugins (I'm not sure if there's a difference between the two in terms of the debugger) - all the database stuff etc isn't what I need. Also, I'm slightly concerned about how Express handles solutions - although my impressions are based purely on what I've read (which hasn't been all that clear). Trying out the trial is a great idea - I'm not sure why I didn't think of that right off the bat
[/quote]


Do you do web or client programming? The db stuff in the web dev edition is fine, it's crippled in the others as far as i know (well actually the full feature set is there, just the designers aren't if you're working with a real db).
Also express loads solutions just fine, There's 2 cases off the top of my head where it could not give the required results 1) it won't load all projects in a heterogeneous solution (solution with a website and a webform project for exemple) because these projects are handled by different instances of express and 2) it doesn't support solution folders (solution will work/load fine, the folders just won't display if you partition your projects in them).

You really should download the express edition and recheck if you really need the plugins you plan on, imho unless you need TFS there's no real reason not to go with express, it's free and nearly as good as the real deal.


Edit : no afaik there's no difference in the debugger, however you stuffed that right next to plugins, just to be clear in case you think it's related, the debugger is by no means a plugin, nor is anything you've seen in VS, inability to run plugins = inability to install third party plugins that aren't provided with express out of the box. It won't stop you from working with any API either as most API that work as plugins actually can just be added as references and only have plugins to simplify updating & such things. (note, i was a VS ultimate user at work and now that i've gone independant i'm a msdn premium user which is quite costly, the only thing that justified this is the ability to use TFS, expensive versions of VS are expensive because they target larger companies but really make sure you can't do without the features before buying one).
ranakor
ranakor

[quote name='irreversible' timestamp='1317592173' post='4868398']
[quote name='Erik Rufelt' timestamp='1317590827' post='4868391']
I seriously doubt that. What feature of the Pro version do you require?
You can download the Pro version for free also, as a 30-90 day trial. http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=2890


Primarily the ability to run plugins (I'm not sure if there's a difference between the two in terms of the debugger) - all the database stuff etc isn't what I need. Also, I'm slightly concerned about how Express handles solutions - although my impressions are based purely on what I've read (which hasn't been all that clear). Trying out the trial is a great idea - I'm not sure why I didn't think of that right off the bat
[/quote]


Do you do web or client programming? The db stuff in the web dev edition is fine, it's crippled in the others as far as i know (well actually the full feature set is there, just the designers aren't if you're working with a real db).
Also express loads solutions just fine, There's 2 cases off the top of my head where it could not give the required results 1) it won't load all projects in a heterogeneous solution (solution with a website and a webform project for exemple) because these projects are handled by different instances of express and 2) it doesn't support solution folders (solution will work/load fine, the folders just won't display if you partition your projects in them).

You really should download the express edition and recheck if you really need the plugins you plan on, imho unless you need TFS there's no real reason not to go with express, it's free and nearly as good as the real deal.


Edit : no afaik there's no difference in the debugger, however you stuffed that right next to plugins, just to be clear in case you think it's related, the debugger is by no means a plugin, nor is anything you've seen in VS, inability to run plugins = inability to install third party plugins that aren't provided with express out of the box. It won't stop you from working with any API either as most API that work as plugins actually can just be added as references and only have plugins to simplify updating & such things. (note, i was a VS ultimate user at work and now that i've gone independant i'm a msdn premium user which is quite costly, the only thing that justified this is the ability to use TFS, expensive versions of VS are expensive because they target larger companies but really make sure you can't do without the features before buying one).
[/quote]


Edit2: as for speed, VS doesn't really have a "speed" except for the original loading speed and if that. What you can compare is really speed per language (intelissence speed is very different on a per language basis , as is compiling). I can only answer that for C# but VS 2010 is instantaneous in everything for me (except startup, which is a few seconds, and loading solutions with 10+ projects, wich also is up to 10 secs), compile speed is near instant (it does take about 20 sec to compile our large solutions, but that's only because we didn't optimise cross project compiles to not copy over dlls, that's what make large C# projects compiling slow, if you have dll1 referencing dll2 referencing dll3 etc then dll3 gets compiled, dll2 gets compiled and dll3 copied into dll2's bin folder, where it's never used, dll1 gets compiled and dll2 gets copied into dll1's bin folder along with dll3 which is a prerequisite, and then the exe gets compiled and all the references get copied again, this is file IO intensive because each time it copies over the DLL the symbol files and the xml, all of them in folders where they are never used except for the last copy, however compiling itself is very quick, if you tried the same thing on a single project with as much code as the sum of those project you'd get near instant compile, you can get clost to that by modifing the build a bit if you want to go that far)
speciesUnknown
speciesUnknown
The performance of 2010 professional is the same as that of the express edition; there isnt that much extra stuff in professional which would result in a further slowdown. The only major speed issue I encounter with 2010 is that it often blocks the UI thread for up to 30 seconds when it is executing external processes; a common reproduction case is when the XNA extensions launch an MSBuild process to build a content project. However, 2010 is a lot more memory hungry than 2k8 was, you need at least 4gb to run it comfortably; i've had to spend considerable time tuning my laptop with its 2gb of ram to run 2010 without it constantly paging out. Perhaps this is where your issue lies?
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
AAA
AAA
I use vs2010 at work (we've upgraded from 2008 a while back.) We have a large solution (100+ C++ projects, ~13,000 files) :

  • Loading the solution in 2010 is MUCH faster than 2008
  • Intellisense is a bit iffy with such a large solution, if you stay with the default settings. While in 2008 on some slower machines getting definitions might take a long time, and in some cases unusable. In 2010, intellisense is sometimes faster, more accurate usually. The one drawback is that in 2010 the intellisense gets reindexed too often, you can cancel when this happens, but can be a source of frustration when you ask for a definition only to see a dialog come up telling you it's working... with 300k+ header files left to process. With that in mind, the 2010 intellisense experience is far superior, and I'm sure is better on a smaller scale solution.
  • The UI in 2010 is much more responsive than it was in 2008, from my experience
  • The new C++ language enhancements they support in 2010 is nice
  • Build time is slightly faster in 2010.
    All in all I would highly recommend making the upgrade.
_mark_
_mark_
I find the 2010 Express version has problems too (with C++), compared with 2008 Express. Slow startup, pauses, random unresponsiveness that lasts for several seconds, sometimes slow typing response. Far worse than 2008. Even with Intellisense disabled (though even worse with it enabled). Occurs on both my machines. Apparently some people have no problems, so unclear what the reasons are. If it wasn't for the better compiler (I don't mind that taking longer, as my code runs faster), I'd stick with 2008.
speciesUnknown
speciesUnknown

I find the 2010 Express version has problems too (with C++), compared with 2008 Express. Slow startup, pauses, random unresponsiveness that lasts for several seconds, sometimes slow typing response. Far worse than 2008. Even with Intellisense disabled (though even worse with it enabled). Occurs on both my machines. Apparently some people have no problems, so unclear what the reasons are. If it wasn't for the better compiler (I don't mind that taking longer, as my code runs faster), I'd stick with 2008.


The constant hanging and slowness are most likely to do with memory usage which has increased compared with 2k8. Everything else feels sort of sluggish in general but its not THAT much slower. What I wish it didnt do, was block the UI thread every time I compile.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.