Original Post
Hello.
I have managed to come up with a pretty nice tree sprite generation system. I need some assistance though with some fine-tuning...
[media]http://i54.tinypic.com/11tpkm1.png[/media]
The way leaves look on trees is very dull and boring. The leaf images themselves are nice, but I feel as though the surface in which I am blitting the leaves to could use some TLC. I basically want to give the leaf surface a smoothed bevel/emboss effect a-la photoshop, to make the tree seem as though its popping out at you. Give it a more 3d-ish effect in a 2d world. Pygame does not have anything like this.
I was wondering if anybody has any ideas as to how one would go about solving this problem in an efficient manner. I looked at the jscript samples for photoshop's emboss effect to see if it would help me figure out what to do, but it doesn't lead me to any documentation of what the parameters for the function are, or where to find out what they are. Has anybody tried anything like this in Python?
Thanks,
-Adam
Edit:
The tree generator is actually a smaller part of an isometric tile based map/scenario editor (similar to the one found with Age of Empires) that I've been making for the last 2 weeks or so. All images seen here are screenshots of the editor running, and all images used in my editor are original works of art by myself. That water is animated.
I have managed to come up with a pretty nice tree sprite generation system. I need some assistance though with some fine-tuning...
[media]http://i54.tinypic.com/11tpkm1.png[/media]
The way leaves look on trees is very dull and boring. The leaf images themselves are nice, but I feel as though the surface in which I am blitting the leaves to could use some TLC. I basically want to give the leaf surface a smoothed bevel/emboss effect a-la photoshop, to make the tree seem as though its popping out at you. Give it a more 3d-ish effect in a 2d world. Pygame does not have anything like this.
I was wondering if anybody has any ideas as to how one would go about solving this problem in an efficient manner. I looked at the jscript samples for photoshop's emboss effect to see if it would help me figure out what to do, but it doesn't lead me to any documentation of what the parameters for the function are, or where to find out what they are. Has anybody tried anything like this in Python?
Thanks,
-Adam
Edit:
The tree generator is actually a smaller part of an isometric tile based map/scenario editor (similar to the one found with Age of Empires) that I've been making for the last 2 weeks or so. All images seen here are screenshots of the editor running, and all images used in my editor are original works of art by myself. That water is animated.


