Original Post
Project name:
We currently have an internal working name which may become the release title, however for now publicly, it's just Project Rabid Penguin. ;)
Brief description:
This project is an RTS and is, which may scare some of you a bit, something of a "remake". It is however being done legally and carefully so that it does not impose upon the IP of the original but that it is enough to in fact be recognizable. With this being my first game I will be leading myself, I want to keep any and all goals realistic and so picking an idea that's already been done will make it that much less work on us all. However due to the nature of this, almost all of the information is still being withheld. While great care is being taken that we are not infringing on anyone's rights, with things in such the early stages right now I would prefer to avoid certain attention.
The game itself will involve very dark, moody closed-off environments. There will also be frequent first-person moments will will necessitate crafting the art assets with first-person detail involved. Scenes are expected to be, on average, rather high contrast. While very dark, we're not going for a Doom 3 look (ALWAYS dark), so there will be plenty of well-lit moments but with heavy darkness lingering nearby. The primary challenge of the game will be tactics of building and attacking the enemy, more so than economic management or unit micro-management. Things like where and when to fight will be factored in more than how you fight, this being further increased by the detail that you will not have exact control over your units, they will still move and attack and act whenever they chose to, not when you decide for them.
Target aim:
The goal currently is to go for a Steam release for something like, 10-15 dollars. Something nice and simple to start but also not F2P for the attempt to get experience in dealing with a commercial project.
Compensation:
Payment will be a little bit tricky for the moment.Due to the nature of this (attempt at an indie game with no solid financial backing), payment is difficult and needs to be worked out. A lump-sum payment is preferred to paying by rate since that may be a bit less predictable and considering the budget I'm working with, predictability with my money is critical. In the end, what you ask for in terms of payment up front will determine how much work I have for you, based on what I can afford. However even if you agree to work unpaid altogether, I will compensate you upfront anyhow since I wouldn't be comfortable taking work for nothing.
Additional compensation will come in the form of a share of revenue from the game, depending upon your total contribution. So I guess in a way you can think of it as the less payment you ask for now, the more you'd have access to later.
Technology:
We are using the Torque 3D engine for this project. Models are asked to be in .dae and/or .obj format. The program you use is up to you, just so long as the mesh can be used correctly from it.
Talent needed:
The model work to be done is very simple, I will not need complete characters by any means. All I am looking for is a low poly mesh, nothing more. No unwrapping, rigging, texturing, or anything of the sort will be asked of you, nor is it even desired that you do it anyhow. Our currently modeler pretty much despises doing organic models so we're simply looking to fill that gap in it and only that gap.
Team structure:
We currently are working with 1 inorganic modeler, 2 concept artists, 1 programmer, 1 writer, and myself. I handle primarily textures, I'm also currently worrying about animation and some programming. It's more than I should probably load myself with, however unfortunately I just don't feel safe in my budget at this time to expand that far. And I'm ok with having no life and doing nothing but work anyhow.
Website:
The website hasn't been prepared yet. With things being kept as quiet as they are at this time, there's really not a major need for a website. One will be made in the coming months as it becomes appropriate.
Contacts:
For now, I'd prefer you just contact me on the forums here, or drop me an email at darkshadow851@gmail.com. No, not my "working" email by any means, it's a really old email I use for informal things. I'm just more comfortable keeping certain bits quiet for now. ;)
Previous Work by Team:
Most of us, myself included, have scattered bits of freelance work here and there. I'm not sure what I can or can't share from my other teammates, so I'd like to just withhold that for now. As for my own stuff, for identification purposes I'd also like to hold back on that publicly, although I'm open to discuss in a more private discussion. My primary focus though in the past has been on complete environments, outdoors being preferred.
Additional Info:
This is not an attempt at making an "epic" first game, or hitting it big and getting rich. This project has a much more realistic grounding in that we are simply attempting to get A game completed, the part that it seems 9/10 starting up indie types fall short of. Although on a more positive line of thought on that, another game has already been produced that attempted to do precisely the same thing (legally "remake" the same original game) and it failed pretty miserably. So despite the fact that it IS in fact a bit of a rip-off of an old idea, there's still actually room to compete and grow in.
So far work has been moving well, all things considered. We've had a few unfortunate setbacks, but all in all not bad. Also, everyone working on this project has schooling and/or a job or two at the same time, so our schedules can all be quite demanding. If you have this same issue, that is perfectly understood and easy for us to work with.
Really hope to hear from some people and I'd love to share more info with you. I'm sure I missed some important details here though that are still "ok" to give out publicly. I hope you understand the need to keep somewhat quiet right now though. Unfortunately a modeler is needed to get anywhere, and getting somewhere is needed to have any public info. But I'm much more willing to discuss specific details via email/PM.
We currently have an internal working name which may become the release title, however for now publicly, it's just Project Rabid Penguin. ;)
Brief description:
This project is an RTS and is, which may scare some of you a bit, something of a "remake". It is however being done legally and carefully so that it does not impose upon the IP of the original but that it is enough to in fact be recognizable. With this being my first game I will be leading myself, I want to keep any and all goals realistic and so picking an idea that's already been done will make it that much less work on us all. However due to the nature of this, almost all of the information is still being withheld. While great care is being taken that we are not infringing on anyone's rights, with things in such the early stages right now I would prefer to avoid certain attention.
The game itself will involve very dark, moody closed-off environments. There will also be frequent first-person moments will will necessitate crafting the art assets with first-person detail involved. Scenes are expected to be, on average, rather high contrast. While very dark, we're not going for a Doom 3 look (ALWAYS dark), so there will be plenty of well-lit moments but with heavy darkness lingering nearby. The primary challenge of the game will be tactics of building and attacking the enemy, more so than economic management or unit micro-management. Things like where and when to fight will be factored in more than how you fight, this being further increased by the detail that you will not have exact control over your units, they will still move and attack and act whenever they chose to, not when you decide for them.
Target aim:
The goal currently is to go for a Steam release for something like, 10-15 dollars. Something nice and simple to start but also not F2P for the attempt to get experience in dealing with a commercial project.
Compensation:
Payment will be a little bit tricky for the moment.Due to the nature of this (attempt at an indie game with no solid financial backing), payment is difficult and needs to be worked out. A lump-sum payment is preferred to paying by rate since that may be a bit less predictable and considering the budget I'm working with, predictability with my money is critical. In the end, what you ask for in terms of payment up front will determine how much work I have for you, based on what I can afford. However even if you agree to work unpaid altogether, I will compensate you upfront anyhow since I wouldn't be comfortable taking work for nothing.
Additional compensation will come in the form of a share of revenue from the game, depending upon your total contribution. So I guess in a way you can think of it as the less payment you ask for now, the more you'd have access to later.
Technology:
We are using the Torque 3D engine for this project. Models are asked to be in .dae and/or .obj format. The program you use is up to you, just so long as the mesh can be used correctly from it.
Talent needed:
The model work to be done is very simple, I will not need complete characters by any means. All I am looking for is a low poly mesh, nothing more. No unwrapping, rigging, texturing, or anything of the sort will be asked of you, nor is it even desired that you do it anyhow. Our currently modeler pretty much despises doing organic models so we're simply looking to fill that gap in it and only that gap.
Team structure:
We currently are working with 1 inorganic modeler, 2 concept artists, 1 programmer, 1 writer, and myself. I handle primarily textures, I'm also currently worrying about animation and some programming. It's more than I should probably load myself with, however unfortunately I just don't feel safe in my budget at this time to expand that far. And I'm ok with having no life and doing nothing but work anyhow.
Website:
The website hasn't been prepared yet. With things being kept as quiet as they are at this time, there's really not a major need for a website. One will be made in the coming months as it becomes appropriate.
Contacts:
For now, I'd prefer you just contact me on the forums here, or drop me an email at darkshadow851@gmail.com. No, not my "working" email by any means, it's a really old email I use for informal things. I'm just more comfortable keeping certain bits quiet for now. ;)
Previous Work by Team:
Most of us, myself included, have scattered bits of freelance work here and there. I'm not sure what I can or can't share from my other teammates, so I'd like to just withhold that for now. As for my own stuff, for identification purposes I'd also like to hold back on that publicly, although I'm open to discuss in a more private discussion. My primary focus though in the past has been on complete environments, outdoors being preferred.
Additional Info:
This is not an attempt at making an "epic" first game, or hitting it big and getting rich. This project has a much more realistic grounding in that we are simply attempting to get A game completed, the part that it seems 9/10 starting up indie types fall short of. Although on a more positive line of thought on that, another game has already been produced that attempted to do precisely the same thing (legally "remake" the same original game) and it failed pretty miserably. So despite the fact that it IS in fact a bit of a rip-off of an old idea, there's still actually room to compete and grow in.
So far work has been moving well, all things considered. We've had a few unfortunate setbacks, but all in all not bad. Also, everyone working on this project has schooling and/or a job or two at the same time, so our schedules can all be quite demanding. If you have this same issue, that is perfectly understood and easy for us to work with.
Really hope to hear from some people and I'd love to share more info with you. I'm sure I missed some important details here though that are still "ok" to give out publicly. I hope you understand the need to keep somewhat quiet right now though. Unfortunately a modeler is needed to get anywhere, and getting somewhere is needed to have any public info. But I'm much more willing to discuss specific details via email/PM.