Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

New 3D Game Project: AresEd, looking for C++ programmers

Started by jorrit Nov 4, 2011 at 7:49 AM 1 replies 2.1k views
Original Post
jorrit
jorrit
Project name


Project Ares

Brief description


Project Ares is both a game creation set based on the Crystal Space 3D Engine as well as a science fiction based action game with role playing elements. AresEd (the game editor) is a tool with which game designers can build their world and control how game entities react to each other and to the player. This part of the project is currently already in full development and you can see the state of a few weeks ago in this youtube video. Based on this technology we will create a game set in the year 2053. Aliens have attacked earth in 2047 (again!) but after some devastating losses humankind managed to keep control and in 2053 the situation is that of a stalemate. As the player you will be able to lead the game in three possible outcomes: human victory, alien victory or diplomatic solution. To do this you will have to solve quests, fight your way through aliens, craft new weapons and armor and so on.

Target aim


The goal of this project is to make an Open Source and free 3D game creation kit in addition to a full working game based on this technology.

Compensation


This is a free project and while I wish I could pay you I can't. However, once this technology is ready and the first free game is ready I will not exclude the possibility that a commercial game can be made with this.

Technology


The game editor and game logic are written in C++ based on the Crystal Space 3D Engine. This engine uses OpenGL and works on GNU/Linux, Windows and MacOS/X. These are also our target platforms. 3D artwork is mostly going to be made with Blender.

Talent needed


Our team is looking for experienced C++ programmers. We have various tasks that need to be done in many different areas. If you are part of our team you can come in contact with 3D rendering, game logic programming, scripting, user interface programming (both WX and CEGUI), event driven programming and much more.

Team structure


As project manager I lead both the Crystal Space project as this new project. I'm currently responsible for setting up the team and I also work actively on AresEd right now (C++ programming). I currently have three concept artists, one settings team member, and one modeller. In addition I have several team members in Crystal Space who remain responsible for the 3D engine.

Website


Web site for Project Ares.
Web site for Crystal Space.

Previous Work by Team


I'm the project manager of the Crystal Space 3D Engine.

Additional Info


Check out the Video Blog for some ideas on the technology.


Let's give a short summary of the story first. It is the year 2053. 6 years ago (in 2047) earth was attacked by surprise by a big alien surprise attack. Most big cities were (partially) destroyed but it did not take long for humankind to recover and enable their big defense grid. From that point on the alien attack was no longer very successful so a big and complicated war started. In 2053 the situation was that of an effective stalemate. Earth technology by that time was sufficient to effectively defend all remaining cities but not sufficient to mount a succesful counterattack against the invaders. In addition any attempt of the aliens to mount ground-based attacks were met with heavy resistance. Usually in favor of the humans. You (the player) are a soldier who is training in a military camp in Belgium near the coast. In 2053 you are ready to start on a real mission and this is where the game starts.

This game will be more then 'just another shooter'. I want to incorportate role playing elements and a very rich story. You will have quests to solve and interact with lots of NPCs in order to achieve your goal. So what is your goal? Basically there are three ways to win this game: first you can help the humans be victorious. In that scenario the aliens are defeated and the surviving aliens return to their homeplanet. The second scenario is where you decide to side with the aliens. Perhaps you were offered a big reward and a nice position in the new alien controlled earth and you think the humans eventually have no chance to win this. Here you will have to help the aliens; perhaps by disabling the earth defense grid. The last scenario is where you help to achieve a diplomatic solution.

Feedback


ANY
Jorrit Tyberghein.Project manager of Crystal Space: An open source 3D engine for Linux, Windows, and MacOS/XURL: http://www.crystalspace3d.org
PsyChotic
PsyChotic
Hey

Are you still looking for c++ programmer talent, I am willing to help out and join the team.
jorrit
jorrit

Hey

Are you still looking for c++ programmer talent, I am willing to help out and join the team.


Sure I am! Can you contact me by email so that we can make further arrangements? My email is jorrit.tyberghein@gmail.com

Thanks@
Jorrit Tyberghein.Project manager of Crystal Space: An open source 3D engine for Linux, Windows, and MacOS/XURL: http://www.crystalspace3d.org

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.