Original Post
In the "Slightly amibitious I know" thread by Preemo,
josh1billion said (when mentioning that the first step is to figure out exactly WHAT KIND of games you want to make):
"- downloadable 3D games: learn C++ and a 3D engine like Irrlicht or Ogre, or learn Java and look into 3D graphics"
What are the tools that I need to develop 3D games? I am in the process of learning C++ right now in school.
-What are the steps to developing a 3D game.
-What are the programs used in these steps?
How do you get to an actual 3D environment where you can move around?
What are all of these programs I see people moving around in their partially complete game?
I get the modelling programs, and I get the programming compiler environments, but what are these programs
that let developers get into their environment and travel around it in real time?
I just really would like to know what I need to start getting familiar with. I'm tired of sitting on the sideline and watching
all of my ideas stagnate. I'm also working toward a comp science degree in a community college right now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
josh1billion said (when mentioning that the first step is to figure out exactly WHAT KIND of games you want to make):
"- downloadable 3D games: learn C++ and a 3D engine like Irrlicht or Ogre, or learn Java and look into 3D graphics"
What are the tools that I need to develop 3D games? I am in the process of learning C++ right now in school.
-What are the steps to developing a 3D game.
-What are the programs used in these steps?
How do you get to an actual 3D environment where you can move around?
What are all of these programs I see people moving around in their partially complete game?
I get the modelling programs, and I get the programming compiler environments, but what are these programs
that let developers get into their environment and travel around it in real time?
I just really would like to know what I need to start getting familiar with. I'm tired of sitting on the sideline and watching
all of my ideas stagnate. I'm also working toward a comp science degree in a community college right now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.