Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Playgrounds

Started by eppo Nov 9, 2011 at 12:58 AM 8 replies 3.1k views
Original Post
eppo
eppo
A few shots from my platformer / space-shooter demo

This shows some of my recent attempts at procedural content creation; generated with terrain, tree, grass, rail-road and rock tools.

I've also found it useful to automate the offline process of creating shaders, samplers, state and input-layout objects etc. These are constructed directly from meshes' materials as I define them in the modeler I use, so apart from some custom vertex transformations I have little shader code to write.

The main runtime uses an old-fashioned forward renderer. This still works best with anti-aliasing and lit alpha blended objects and because I do some additional light culling on the gpu it can still render a handful of lights.



Click here to view the iotd
Gaenor
Gaenor
Very nice! Could you explain what we're seeing in the second picture of the additional pics (the grey one)?
DarklyDreaming
DarklyDreaming
Nice! Some specifics? Language? API? Tools? Inquisitive minds and all that
EDIT: Never mind, found that you already filled out all those details. Well, carry on then! cool.gif
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe

"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style,
Aqua Costa
Aqua Costa
Looks great! Detailed and colourful environments.

How did you created the vegetation?
eppo
eppo
Thank you for your comments.


The second picture is the convex representation of the first. What's used to do collision detection.

I use a system that lets you assign a group of objects (like a few strands of grass) as the surface property of another base-object. The grass then gets duplicated all over the base material's surface. Because it's a material property I can use standard uv-mapped textures to modulate the grass' behavior. Like a simple grayscale texture or a normal-map to define growth density and direction.
ClaudeFleming
ClaudeFleming
What do you do to make the grass look so natural? That's what I've never understood: how artists can make make something appear naturally random, yet perfect-looking.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.