Original Post
Ok, so, I want to make games. I have the capability of learning everything (or I'd like to think so), I just have absolutely no direction.
I want to make games, be that writing storylines, scripting, actually programming, engine development; I just want to make games. I read somewhere, that its worth dabbling with modding for a while until you understand what makes a game and how to structure a game/project. Would any of you agree with this? Any further advice on this would be great too (where to begin, tut sites, games to mod, etc)
The ideal is that I will learn c++, then dive into working with opengl/directx until I am comfortable to begin "from scratch" projects. As i said earlier though, I have no idea where to begin. Iv been rereading over c++ primer and getting into the nitty gritty of it and feeling comfortable. Is there anywhere I can go or anything to read that will guide me on some sort of path to learning what I need to?
I understand that I'm not going to make a game over night, I just need some direction on the learning. Thank you in advance.
I want to make games, be that writing storylines, scripting, actually programming, engine development; I just want to make games. I read somewhere, that its worth dabbling with modding for a while until you understand what makes a game and how to structure a game/project. Would any of you agree with this? Any further advice on this would be great too (where to begin, tut sites, games to mod, etc)
The ideal is that I will learn c++, then dive into working with opengl/directx until I am comfortable to begin "from scratch" projects. As i said earlier though, I have no idea where to begin. Iv been rereading over c++ primer and getting into the nitty gritty of it and feeling comfortable. Is there anywhere I can go or anything to read that will guide me on some sort of path to learning what I need to?
I understand that I'm not going to make a game over night, I just need some direction on the learning. Thank you in advance.