Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Where does one get started out these days?

Started by highbulp Nov 23, 2011 at 8:24 AM 1 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
highbulp
highbulp
This seems like a question that is very commonly asked, but unfortunately the answer is always in flux from day to day and person to person (due to changing technology and the diversity of goals and backgrounds). Hence, I make my own thread asking for advice about where to start when it comes to game programming. Some info.


-Previous programming experience: none. Like a modern driver who can't even change his own oil, I am an avid gamer who doesn't know anything about how games are programmed or even much about how my computer works.The only knowledge I have about programming is what I learned from GEB, which is very theoretical and not all that practical.

-Goal: eventually work up to programming my own mod for a Source game.* Intermediate goals: a Flash game?

-Time commitment: during school I have time for like an hour of work on this hobby every weeknight and maybe 4-5 hours per day on weekends. Come winter break I will have 10+ hours free per day, though I doubt I would want to spend all that time on programming. In other words, I have a substantial amount of time available to improve this skill, should I find it enjoyable once I get started.

So with that in mind, what would you guys recommend? If my ultimate goal is to program a Source mod, which languages should I start with, and can you point me to a good tutorial (preferable available for free online) that would be great as well.


* I love to play all the really clever hl2 mods like Trouble in Terrorist Town and Zombie Panic and stuff. This seems like the best way to implement my original gameplay ideas without assembling a team for an original game. Intermediate goals
sharpe
sharpe
Did you read the Forum FAQ? Initially, I chose Python and this is the first tutorial I used: http://www.learn-to-program.net/

I come from a background of RPG Maker VX and enjoyed its use. If you want to make games, try some form of Game Maker. If you wan to learn to program, I would recommend Python.

Good luck!
A 30-year-old interested in learning to program by making an old-school, simple, text-only or 2D dungeon fantasy video game.

As of 9/28/2011, currently attempting to learn the basics of Python 2.7. As of 10/14/11, Dabbling in C#. As of 10/24/11, decisively surpassed my small knowledge of Python in C#.
Serapth
Serapth
[color=#1C2837][size=2]-Goal: eventually work up to programming my own mod for a Source game.* Intermediate goals: a Flash game?

[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color="#1c2837"]Solution: learn Flash, then C++ ( required for Source ).
[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]Frankly, I wouldn't bother with a mod in this day and age. They aren't really all that easy to create, as you have to learn the host language and integrate within someone else's code base, often in very uncomfortable ways. In a day and age with Unity and UDK available, working on a mod seems almost silly.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.