Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

nGENE

Started by WojciechToman Dec 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM 16 replies 5.2k views
Original Post
WojciechToman
WojciechToman
This image shows current state of my 3D framework, nGENE. The list of updates is very long including improved HDR rendering (several new tone mapping operators), addition of instancing, improved clouds, improved water (you can read my article about this here), improved shadows (addition of Variance Shadow Mapping), improved SSAO, addition of screen-space God rays etc.


You can track changes on my blog. The new release should happen around January/February 2012.

There are also three new videos available. You can watch them on Video tab or on Youtube.



I'm also looking for people eager to help. I lack good 3D models/textures so I can't create any good demo showing all capabilities. So if you're interested in helping me, drop me a message or leave comment here.

Click here to view the iotd
Florian22222
Florian22222
Looks pretty awesome. Why are you developing a graphics engine? Do you want to develop a game after or what´s the purpose of this?
rioki
rioki
Looks nice like always. The water really improved over the last time. I can't say I like the depth of field effect, even though it is properly executed. The clouds look kind of wonky and animate too fast. One minor point is, you apparently just captured the engine output, which is fine, but you definitely need mouse smoothing. The video really seems to stutter when you move the mouse..

The reason I don't like depth of field in general is, I just don't think it applies well to simulating human vision, that automatically puts everything into focus and the brain works really hard to eliminate the remaining focus issues. But that is a personal taste.
Rioki - http://www.rioki.org
WojciechToman
WojciechToman
Thank you guys. I really appreciate your opinions.

@Florian22222: it's my hobby. I mean I love programming graphics in technology (I do it in my free time), gameplay is not so much fun to me. However, I plan to create a game and most of the recent changes are motivated by this goal.

@rioki: I created depth of field based on the camera lens rather than human eye (as I agree it doesn't work well for this purpose), i.e. it is possible to set a focal length and aperture. I further improved clouds yesterday so next time they should look a bit better. And thanks for your comment on the mouse.

Pthalicus
Pthalicus
This is lovely, thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to follow your blog for future updates.
Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.
L. Spiro
L. Spiro
You can get good test models and textures here: http://www.gfx-3d-model.com/
And here: http://gfxfree.com/
The latter has recently been changing their site and downloads are temporarily down, but it should be back soon.


L. Spiro
I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid
Florian22222
Florian22222
interesting. i thought there were more programmers interested in gameplay then in graphics. It´s good that there are both types ;)
WojciechToman
WojciechToman
@YogurtEmperor: thanks for the links

@Florian22222: then who would code engines and graphic effects ?

Vexator
Vexator
i'm impressed! very good work!

i just finished watching the latest video on your blog and noticed that the "god rays" sometimes seem to come from other directions than the sun.. near at the end of the video, you're moving the camera from left to right and the sun is at the top center of the screen, but the rays seem to come from the right edge of the screen.
Wunderwerk Engine is an OpenGL-based, shader-driven, cross-platform game engine. It is targeted at aspiring game designers who have been kept from realizing their ideas due to lacking programming skills.

blog.wunderwerk-engine.com
coderx75
coderx75
That is beautiful! Unfortunately, I'm one of the programmers more interested in gameplay and this just makes me realize how much my current project looks like ASS! =D
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
nsmadsen
nsmadsen
Beautiful work! I'm very impressed!
Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Austin, TX
WojciechToman
WojciechToman
Thank you very much!

@Vexator: thanks for noticing this

Aqua Costa
Aqua Costa
WOW Looks great.

What Terrain-LOD technique did you use?
cin
cin
Are you plan to:

  1. add support Visual Studio 2010?
  2. replace Xerces to another parser?
WojciechToman
WojciechToman
The answer to both questions is: yes. I'm currently working on VS 2010 so next release will support it out-of-the-box.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.