Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[WANTED] Artists for 2D platformer

Started by Markus_Oljemark Dec 8, 2011 at 7:24 PM 0 replies 700+ views
Original Post
Markus_Oljemark
Markus_Oljemark
Hi! Please read the additional info =)

[color="#1C2837"]

Team name:

[color="#1C2837"]

No team name

[color="#1c2837"]Project Name:
[color="#1c2837"]Project name: Bliss.
Game name is undecided.

Brief description:

[color="#1c2837"]I'm working on a rather basic 2D platformer inspired by other 2D platformers such as Braid, Limbo, Winterbottom, Super Meat Boy.
It's a spiritual successor to the last project I worked on (see Lament under previous work).


Target aim:
Digital retail (Steam, Desura, Gamers Gate, Humble Bundle), estimated price range £5-£10.

Compensation:
[color="#1c2837"]15-25% of the revenue share.

Technology:
Target platforms: Pc/Mac/Linux.
Tools/Frameworks: C++(OpenGL/SDL), Gleed2D (Level editor).

Talent needed:
- Character artist[color="#1C2837"]

- Environment/world/concept artist


Team structure:

[color="#1c2837"]- Me (programming, design, story, music)
- External musician.


Contacts:[color="#1C2837"]

Please mail me at TheBlissGameProject@gmail.com


Previous Work by Team
[color="#1c2837"]Minor XNA and MMF2 projects
[color="#1c2837"]Lament:
[color="#1C2837"][media]
[/media]

Additional Info:

[color="#1c2837"]Hi, I'm a developer but unfortunately terrible att drawing.
That's why I need you who's artistic and motivated to work with a project in a small team.

The project is well through the development cycle and I'm currently building the first versions of the worlds/levels for the game.
I expect to have 90% of the programming done before the end of this year.

As I mentioned earlier this is a spiritual successor to Lament so I strongly suggest that you check the video to get a hint of what I'm going for.
The story is about an old man who in is moment of death relives memories from his life in order to find peace.
The worlds each represent a stage in the Kübler Ross model (google it) as well as a stage in his life.

I'm sorry to say that I have no budget what so ever which means I can't pay anything in advance, my hopes are that you are interested in becoming a member of the team and then hopefully feel the same passion for working on the game as me. However I do guarantee a fair share of the possible revenue share.

Here's a screenshot from the game's current state, the graphics are temporary developer graphics.
Desktop
[attachment=6346:Screenshot.png]
I'll explain further down what I'm trying to achieve with the art.

I'm currently looking for two different artists (please note that the tasks are not carved in stone).

Character artist
As character artist you will be responsible for designing the main characters, enemies, bosses and other moving objects in the game.
Then your task is to create spritesheets with their animations.
My idea of the standard enemy (that you can see in the screenshot) is some kind of shadow creature inspired by the coal spirit from spirited away and a pokemon. The enemies represent the main character's inner darkness. There will be up to 10 different types of enemies and 8 bosses.
As you may notice in the screenshot the main character looks like a shadow, this is early in the game and the character will take shape and gain colors gradually throughout the game, which means there needs to be about 5 versions of the main character.
I believe a fair share for the character artist is 15% (+~5% for extra work) but this is negotiable.

Environment/World and Concept artist
As Environment/Concept artist you will be responsible for the art direction of the levels.
Your task is to create art for the worlds and then break it down into tiles and use a generic level editor to create the graphics for each level.
The level editor I have chosen is Gleed2D, it's free and very easy to use (google it).
You will also be responsible for possible required concept art for promotion of the game.
My idea is that the art direction will head in the same direction as Lament, with inspiration from art such as the art from Braid or Bastion.
There will be up to 8 different themes that are :
Meadow - Dark forest - Inferno - Wasteland - Frozen world - Water world - Mountain - Darkness.
What you see in the screenshot is the Meadow, it's suppose to be a child's room under the bare sky: A meadow with toys and toyblocks etc.
I believe a fair share for the environment/concept artist is 20% (+~5% for extra work) but this is negotiable.

My expectations:
You have your own style but can work with a second artist to create an uniform art.
I love art that looks like it's drawn by hand (eg watercolor).
I'm a student and I would prefer working with someone else non-professional, but professionals are also welcome to contact me but I prefer to keep the mood friendly and non-professional.
I love games, both developing and playing, I hope that you love games too and if this project wouldn't make it that you can see the time spent as something positive, that you have learned something and grown.

Working with me:
I do not expect to find someone who lives close enough to me to meet in person.
But I want to have regular skype meetings and contact over email.
I have no deadline for the project but I expect that you can put down at least a few hours a week on the project and that we can finish it sometime next year.
If the game isn't released you are the sole owner of all art you have created.

Contact v2.
Are you interested or have questions?
Please mail me at: TheBlissGameProject@gmail.com.
Applications should include:
- Some information about yourself.
- Which position you're interested in.
- How much time you can spend on the project.
- Attach something relevant to the position you're interested in.

Kind regards
Markus

Feedback:[color="#1C2837"]Any

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.