Original Post
Hi all,
I've noticed in a lot of the literature out there on rendering atmospheric effects that the skydome technique is still used heavily. However, I've also noticed some situations where a screen aligned, max-depth 'skyquad' is used in which a single quad is rendered behind the scene, and the sky drawn on it.
Given that a skydome would theoretically require a lot more triangles, and that a skyquad could just as easily represent the sky if written in a modern shader with only two triangles, what would be the tradeoffs of using one technique over another?
I've noticed in a lot of the literature out there on rendering atmospheric effects that the skydome technique is still used heavily. However, I've also noticed some situations where a screen aligned, max-depth 'skyquad' is used in which a single quad is rendered behind the scene, and the sky drawn on it.
Given that a skydome would theoretically require a lot more triangles, and that a skyquad could just as easily represent the sky if written in a modern shader with only two triangles, what would be the tradeoffs of using one technique over another?