Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

MindTex

Started by ryguy4377 Dec 15, 2011 at 2:25 AM 12 replies 3.7k views
Original Post
ryguy4377
ryguy4377
Hey everyone,
I've just finished getting my latest project, MindTex, ready for open beta. MindTex is essentially another single-input, multiple-output texture generator with the goal of being affordable without compromising on quality. For a few images and a video demonstrating what it can do, check out the IOTD post. For more information or to try out the beta, check out the product page at http://www.mindtex.com.



Anyways, let me know what you guys think!
xaho
xaho
I am extremely impressed! Looks very user friendly and like a great tool for game designs working with 3D. I am seriously considering buying! Overall, looks like a brilliant engine.

Well done biggrin.gif

-Max
ryguy4377
ryguy4377
Hey Max, I'm glad you liked it!

xaho
xaho

Hey Max, I'm glad you liked it!




Definately! That is some very impressive work! How long did the coding take? smile.gif
UltimaX
UltimaX
Very cool. I was wondering when there would be a crazy bump clone and I think you pulled it off. Very professional looking too; great job.

Any idea on how much you are planning on selling it for?
ryguy4377
ryguy4377

[quote name='ryguy4377' timestamp='1323950667' post='4894147']
Hey Max, I'm glad you liked it!




Definately! That is some very impressive work! How long did the coding take? smile.gif
[/quote]
Hey Max, the coding took me around 3 months in all.




Very cool. I was wondering when there would be a crazy bump clone and I think you pulled it off. Very professional looking too; great job.

Any idea on how much you are planning on selling it for?


Hey, glad you liked it! I'm planning on selling it for $65 once it is out of beta, though I'm offering a discount if anyone wants to 'pre-order' it while it is in beta. The $65 will be for a professional use-it-for-whatever-you-want license. Crazybump's big price tag for its commercial license was actually a factor in why I wanted to do this in the first place - I really felt like it was a bit much for such a specific-purpose tool, and wanted to make something that was more doable on an indie budget.


xaho
xaho
3 months is a good time for that level of programming! It took me about a year to figure put how to make a compilable programming language haha.
UltimaX
UltimaX

[quote name='Max Vanam' timestamp='1323982073' post='4894282']
[quote name='ryguy4377' timestamp='1323950667' post='4894147']
Hey Max, I'm glad you liked it!




Definately! That is some very impressive work! How long did the coding take? smile.gif
[/quote]
Hey Max, the coding took me around 3 months in all.




Very cool. I was wondering when there would be a crazy bump clone and I think you pulled it off. Very professional looking too; great job.

Any idea on how much you are planning on selling it for?


Hey, glad you liked it! I'm planning on selling it for $65 once it is out of beta, though I'm offering a discount if anyone wants to 'pre-order' it while it is in beta. The $65 will be for a professional use-it-for-whatever-you-want license. Crazybump's big price tag for its commercial license was actually a factor in why I wanted to do this in the first place - I really felt like it was a bit much for such a specific-purpose tool, and wanted to make something that was more doable on an indie budget.



[/quote]

I'm all about indie. [s]When you are ready PM me and I will gladly buy a copy from you.[/s]

[EDIT]
Guess I should have checked your site first... Anyway, I purchased my copy
ryguy4377
ryguy4377

[quote name='ryguy4377' timestamp='1323983703' post='4894289']
[quote name='Max Vanam' timestamp='1323982073' post='4894282']
[quote name='ryguy4377' timestamp='1323950667' post='4894147']
Hey Max, I'm glad you liked it!




Definately! That is some very impressive work! How long did the coding take? smile.gif
[/quote]
Hey Max, the coding took me around 3 months in all.




Very cool. I was wondering when there would be a crazy bump clone and I think you pulled it off. Very professional looking too; great job.

Any idea on how much you are planning on selling it for?


Hey, glad you liked it! I'm planning on selling it for $65 once it is out of beta, though I'm offering a discount if anyone wants to 'pre-order' it while it is in beta. The $65 will be for a professional use-it-for-whatever-you-want license. Crazybump's big price tag for its commercial license was actually a factor in why I wanted to do this in the first place - I really felt like it was a bit much for such a specific-purpose tool, and wanted to make something that was more doable on an indie budget.



[/quote]

I'm all about indie. [s]When you are ready PM me and I will gladly buy a copy from you.[/s]

[EDIT]
Guess I should have checked your site first... Anyway, I purchased my copy
[/quote]




Hey, awesome! I certainly appreciate the support! Don't hesitate to let me know if you run into any issues along the line, and I'll try to get them sorted out as quickly as I can.

On that note, as a general update for anyone reading this who may have run into issues launching MindTex: I've fixed a couple bugs with connectivity to the updates / beta servers as well as one with initialization on Windows XP.

UltimaX
UltimaX
[s]Everything loaded great and I can see the GUI just fine, but I see no preview (just stays black). Below are my system specs and if there is something you want me to try then let me know.[/s]

[EDIT]
Must have been the textures I was testing it with. I opened the textures in Photoshop and re-saved them and they worked fine. Very strange. Now that I was actually able to use the program I can honestly say it's very professional and very polished. Great job.
ryguy4377
ryguy4377
When you say it loaded fine, do you mean the program itself or do you mean it stays black even after loading in an image? If the former: it won't show anything in the preview until you load something in (the geometry is just shaded black by default, though maybe I should change that so it isn't misleading). But if it is the latter, let me know and I'll look into it!
UltimaX
UltimaX

When you say it loaded fine, do you mean the program itself or do you mean it stays black even after loading in an image? If the former: it won't show anything in the preview until you load something in (the geometry is just shaded black by default, though maybe I should change that so it isn't misleading). But if it is the latter, let me know and I'll look into it!


Sorry; see the post above (I edited it).

It stayed black after loading the image. The progress bar showed it processing, but then nothing happened.
ryguy4377
ryguy4377
That is interesting...hard to say whether it was the textures or the program, but I'll double check the code to make sure. At any rate, glad it worked, and thanks!
ryguy4377
ryguy4377
Just as a quick update: I am currently working on a fairly big update as far as making the video memory usage more efficient and improving logging/stability in some various other areas; I'll let you guys know as soon as it's out (in case that's been an issue for anyone on here).

EDIT: okay update is out; should provide significant improvements in video memory usage:http://frozenflamecorp.com/site/media/MindTex-1.0-Beta.msi

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.