Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Unity on the Wii with devkitPro?

Started by KellerHood Dec 18, 2011 at 8:16 PM 2 replies 5.5k views
Original Post
KellerHood
KellerHood
I have a Wii, I have Unity, and I have devkitPro. I've successfully managed to get devkitPro to output some .dol's and have them run on the Wii through an SD card. I read on the Unity website, and I quote,


Click To Publish
Ready to run your game on your devkit? It couldn't be easier. Build it with one click. Run it with another. That's all! Build supervisor not required.

Requirements
In order to evaluate or license our engine for use on the Wii console developers must meet the following requirements:


  • You must own Unity Pro 2.x
  • You must be a an Authorized Developer for the Wii console and obtain a Wii development kit
    [/quote]

    Now, that being said, is it in any way possible to get Unity to use devkitPro to build the files instead of the official devkit? I don't plan at all to sell them, but more to just see the games I make play on a Wii for sh**s and giggles.

    Is this possible? If so, how?
    If not, am I completely hopeless in seeing a creation of mine run on a Wii?
Ruggostein
Ruggostein
I don't think the "normal" Unity allows to create Wii builds.
And since their requirments are "You must be a an Authorized Developer for the Wii console and obtain a Wii development kit", so I don't think you can get a version that can do it..
And even if you could, there's a very high probably of it not being compatible with devkitPro.
If you really want to make games for Wii, you'll have to use devkitPro and write C code, search in the net, I think I've seen some free graphic engines for the Wii before, made from someone in the homebrew community.
DarklyDreaming
DarklyDreaming

I don't think the "normal" Unity allows to create Wii builds.
[--snip--]

Indeed it does not allow that. To use Unity for Wii you'll need a separate build that you can only acquire once you've shown proof that you are a legit authorized developer. In other words: there is no way to use Unity for Wii without actually doing it the 'normal' way.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe

"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style,
KellerHood
KellerHood

I don't think the "normal" Unity allows to create Wii builds.
And since their requirments are "You must be a an Authorized Developer for the Wii console and obtain a Wii development kit", so I don't think you can get a version that can do it..
And even if you could, there's a very high probably of it not being compatible with devkitPro.
If you really want to make games for Wii, you'll have to use devkitPro and write C code, search in the net, I think I've seen some free graphic engines for the Wii before, made from someone in the homebrew community.

Yes I've seen those. The problem with that is that there is little to no documentation, tutorials, or anything of the like.


[quote name='Relfos' timestamp='1324292955' post='4895252']
I don't think the "normal" Unity allows to create Wii builds.
[--snip--]

Indeed it does not allow that. To use Unity for Wii you'll need a separate build that you can only acquire once you've shown proof that you are a legit authorized developer. In other words: there is no way to use Unity for Wii without actually doing it the 'normal' way.
[/quote]

Well that sucks. Oh well.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.