Original Post
Forgive me if SOPA has already been beaten to death on these forums.. I did a search and didn't come up with much (which seemed a bit surprising to be honest!), but I think that this is an important topic that deserves to be discussed.
I'm all for what the bill's original intent was -- to stop internet piracy. Piracy is the cancer of the internet, and affects us software developers significantly. I think any *appropriate* measures we can take to prevent pirates from sharing copyrighted materials is a GOOD thing, and something that we should absolutely support. I'm actually a web developer at my day job so it admittedly affects me less than it would affect say a game developer or a desktop software developer, but I understand the frustrations and can totally see why it is a very bad thing.
With that said, this new bill is the most atrocious and disgusting pile of feces I've ever seen. It's a one way ticket to internet fascism, and if they can effectively pass a bill to censor suspected copyright violations, with enough time and money they can pass a bill to censor even more things that are considered by society to be "not politically correct". I think more than anything, it demonstrates the amount of ignorance that exists in politics today, and exposes the true colors of how our political systems work. The bill proposes one of many things; the most prominent of which is a filtration system that will work on the DNS level: preventing reported websites from being able to resolve successfully to the target IP addresses. It also gives copyright holders a tremendous amount of power in being able to shutdown a site's visibility with a simple flip of a switch. After reading countless reports of folks abusing the available DMCA laws in order to get content taken down (when NO copyright violation has actually taken place), this just plain scares me.
The entire web 2.0 culture is based off of user-generated content. Giving users the ability to share with one another, and to collaborate and create works that they otherwise would not have been able to create and propagate through traditional means. I love being able to hop onto YouTube and finding an awesome cover of a song I love, or discovering new music altogether. I can't count how many times I've surfed through YouTube and clicked through to the video of a guy covering a guitar solo I'm not familiar with, only to discover that I loved the source material and finding a new band I can get into. But sadly, with the vague nature of this bill and the purposeful ambiguity that's been thrown into it, these kinds of videos can be torn down in a heartbeat.
And then you have to consider the effect it will have on internet start-ups and existing small internet companies with little to no legal team. While the big guys may be able to cope with these new provisions with a legion of lawyers, the smaller companies will dwindle and fail. Hosting a site centered around user collaboration and/or sharing will become such a big liability that venture capitalists will bail the first chance they can get. The bill allows anyone to aggressively pursue the shutting down of a website at their own discretion, and will inevitably turn the internet into a retarded legal battleground.
The funniest part about all of this is the bill will most likely fail miserably at preventing piracy. Already there have been several proof of concept plugins have been released for Firefox demonstrating various ways of getting around DNS filtration in the United States, effectively creating a workaround allowing you to get to websites that had been blocked before. And not to mention that if you have the site's IP address memorized, you can get there without a hitch.
The bill appears to have been shelved until early next year when the hearings will resume, but the amount of support I'm seeing for it is honestly quite frightening. The open nature of the internet is exactly what makes it a huge breeding ground of innovation and creativity (and free speech), but something like this passing could very well be the beginning of the end.
I'm all for what the bill's original intent was -- to stop internet piracy. Piracy is the cancer of the internet, and affects us software developers significantly. I think any *appropriate* measures we can take to prevent pirates from sharing copyrighted materials is a GOOD thing, and something that we should absolutely support. I'm actually a web developer at my day job so it admittedly affects me less than it would affect say a game developer or a desktop software developer, but I understand the frustrations and can totally see why it is a very bad thing.
With that said, this new bill is the most atrocious and disgusting pile of feces I've ever seen. It's a one way ticket to internet fascism, and if they can effectively pass a bill to censor suspected copyright violations, with enough time and money they can pass a bill to censor even more things that are considered by society to be "not politically correct". I think more than anything, it demonstrates the amount of ignorance that exists in politics today, and exposes the true colors of how our political systems work. The bill proposes one of many things; the most prominent of which is a filtration system that will work on the DNS level: preventing reported websites from being able to resolve successfully to the target IP addresses. It also gives copyright holders a tremendous amount of power in being able to shutdown a site's visibility with a simple flip of a switch. After reading countless reports of folks abusing the available DMCA laws in order to get content taken down (when NO copyright violation has actually taken place), this just plain scares me.
The entire web 2.0 culture is based off of user-generated content. Giving users the ability to share with one another, and to collaborate and create works that they otherwise would not have been able to create and propagate through traditional means. I love being able to hop onto YouTube and finding an awesome cover of a song I love, or discovering new music altogether. I can't count how many times I've surfed through YouTube and clicked through to the video of a guy covering a guitar solo I'm not familiar with, only to discover that I loved the source material and finding a new band I can get into. But sadly, with the vague nature of this bill and the purposeful ambiguity that's been thrown into it, these kinds of videos can be torn down in a heartbeat.
And then you have to consider the effect it will have on internet start-ups and existing small internet companies with little to no legal team. While the big guys may be able to cope with these new provisions with a legion of lawyers, the smaller companies will dwindle and fail. Hosting a site centered around user collaboration and/or sharing will become such a big liability that venture capitalists will bail the first chance they can get. The bill allows anyone to aggressively pursue the shutting down of a website at their own discretion, and will inevitably turn the internet into a retarded legal battleground.
The funniest part about all of this is the bill will most likely fail miserably at preventing piracy. Already there have been several proof of concept plugins have been released for Firefox demonstrating various ways of getting around DNS filtration in the United States, effectively creating a workaround allowing you to get to websites that had been blocked before. And not to mention that if you have the site's IP address memorized, you can get there without a hitch.
The bill appears to have been shelved until early next year when the hearings will resume, but the amount of support I'm seeing for it is honestly quite frightening. The open nature of the internet is exactly what makes it a huge breeding ground of innovation and creativity (and free speech), but something like this passing could very well be the beginning of the end.