Original Post
Hey guys,
I purchased the book Head First Java with learning the basics of the language in mind before I started on my adventure of Game Programming. I'm nearly finished with the book and really want to get into Game Programming now. I don't want to start doing a 3D Game or some MMO. I want to start with stuff simple I can learn from and slowly build up. II've looked around the forum on where to go after this and saw some conflicting topics on what to do next, so I figured I would just create a new thread.
We all want to learn how to do 3D Programming and build MMO's, which is something I would love to do, but I understand there are certain steps I have to take before getting to that point. So I am going to outline the things I would like to learn and maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Again, this is what I would like to learn. Some of these choices are expert topics and some are probably more beginner or intermediate level, and if you have any suggestions besides from what I listed, by all means please let me know.
I'm not limited financially, so books, video tutorials, text tutorials anything will do. And here's the list:
What I would like to learn:
I purchased the book Head First Java with learning the basics of the language in mind before I started on my adventure of Game Programming. I'm nearly finished with the book and really want to get into Game Programming now. I don't want to start doing a 3D Game or some MMO. I want to start with stuff simple I can learn from and slowly build up. II've looked around the forum on where to go after this and saw some conflicting topics on what to do next, so I figured I would just create a new thread.
We all want to learn how to do 3D Programming and build MMO's, which is something I would love to do, but I understand there are certain steps I have to take before getting to that point. So I am going to outline the things I would like to learn and maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Again, this is what I would like to learn. Some of these choices are expert topics and some are probably more beginner or intermediate level, and if you have any suggestions besides from what I listed, by all means please let me know.
I'm not limited financially, so books, video tutorials, text tutorials anything will do. And here's the list:
What I would like to learn:
- Basic Engine Programming -- Nothing to robust. I would like to learn what they do, how they interact with classes, how it can be reused and how I can build a very basic 2D engine.
- Level Editor -- Probably a more expert topic...
- Making 2D Sprites -- Easier done then said, I guess.
- 8 - 16 bit games -- Like RPG's back from the old NES. ;)
- Random World Generation -- this probably has to deal with a lot of algorithm type stuff, no? In that case it's probably a more advanced topic.
- Chat Systems -- Networked chat between two or more people.
- MORPG -- Like I said, we all want to create this. I have a dream to make a SNES/NES like game so I would like to have this as a top goal that I am slowly gaining speed towards.Those are things that I would like to learn, but honestly, just reading one book, a beginners book at that I am probably not ready for these. Maybe a dumbed down chat system, but yeah. Any suggestions on what I should do next to advance my knowledge/learn to build applications like described above? Or even applications that I can learn from?
Thanks
--Aphex