Original Post
This is a voxel engine I am working on, as a general purpose engine (maybe) and for a game (more likely).
UPDATE - VIDEOS HAVE BEEN UPLOADED (Check the video tab.)
I am building an RPG / Sandbox game - not really a Minecraft "ripoff" per se, since I have been working on RPG Sandboxes since 2004
Beyond the superficial aspects, I want to create a game with really convincing AI and emergent gameplay. Also, I want to implement strong RPG mechanics (like Rogue, Diablo, Dungeon Master, etc).
Some of the features you see in this image are ambient occlusion, ray-casted soft shadows, voronoi diagrams (3D), simplex noise, polygon-based voxel rasterization.
It also performs mipmapping on the voxel dataset, and utilizes all cores/threads to their fullest for procedural generation. Gets from 60-200 FPS based on view distance and other settings on a mobile chip (Radeon 5970M). Chunks are generated in threads on the fly while the chunks that are ready are rendered without interruption.
It is also cross-platform (uses OpenGL and other cross-platform libs); it will run on Mac and PC with possible Linux support.
You can find out more about this project at http://www.gavanw.com
Also, you can follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/gavanw
[Quick update, added a grass image]
Click here to view the iotd
UPDATE - VIDEOS HAVE BEEN UPLOADED (Check the video tab.)
I am building an RPG / Sandbox game - not really a Minecraft "ripoff" per se, since I have been working on RPG Sandboxes since 2004
Beyond the superficial aspects, I want to create a game with really convincing AI and emergent gameplay. Also, I want to implement strong RPG mechanics (like Rogue, Diablo, Dungeon Master, etc).
Some of the features you see in this image are ambient occlusion, ray-casted soft shadows, voronoi diagrams (3D), simplex noise, polygon-based voxel rasterization.
It also performs mipmapping on the voxel dataset, and utilizes all cores/threads to their fullest for procedural generation. Gets from 60-200 FPS based on view distance and other settings on a mobile chip (Radeon 5970M). Chunks are generated in threads on the fly while the chunks that are ready are rendered without interruption.
It is also cross-platform (uses OpenGL and other cross-platform libs); it will run on Mac and PC with possible Linux support.
You can find out more about this project at http://www.gavanw.com
Also, you can follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/gavanw
[Quick update, added a grass image]
Click here to view the iotd