Original Post
Hi all,
I have a quick question regarding the computational costs of different methods of rendering a large set of points. Consider, for example, that you were trying to deform a solid on a per-point basis. I can think of two options for managing the deformation:
1) render each point one at a time, pushing and popping a new matrix containing the necessary translation information for each individual, pre-allocated point, or
2) calculate the new point positions, generate values locally, and then resubmit the vertex data to the gpu.
Which of these methods would ultimately yield the best performance? My gut feeling is that the second method is more likely to be "correct" however I fear that resubmitting a large number of points regularly could be bad. Are there any other methods for manipulating vertex data efficiently?
I have a quick question regarding the computational costs of different methods of rendering a large set of points. Consider, for example, that you were trying to deform a solid on a per-point basis. I can think of two options for managing the deformation:
1) render each point one at a time, pushing and popping a new matrix containing the necessary translation information for each individual, pre-allocated point, or
2) calculate the new point positions, generate values locally, and then resubmit the vertex data to the gpu.
Which of these methods would ultimately yield the best performance? My gut feeling is that the second method is more likely to be "correct" however I fear that resubmitting a large number of points regularly could be bad. Are there any other methods for manipulating vertex data efficiently?