Original Post
HI.
Im working on a FPS using my own engine. I allready subdivide the map and use frustum culling to greatly reduce the amount of geometry i draw but its not enough it seems. When im standing on the outskirts of the map looking into it the frame rate drops even though im in a small little room and im staring at a wall. Im a little unsure of how to go about implementing oclusion testing in a FPS.Testing all the ojects against all the other objects that might be infront of it seems way too expensive. Im guessing I might have to do something like set up volumes and link objects to them. Like if the player is in volume X only objects a,b and c could possibly be vissible to him. (objects a,b and c being stationary. Like walls) or something like that. I could create a script to create these volumes on the maps and store it in the map files so the game doesnt need to do it. Does this sound like a feasible idea? or is there maybe a better solution that im missing.
Thnx in Advance!
Im working on a FPS using my own engine. I allready subdivide the map and use frustum culling to greatly reduce the amount of geometry i draw but its not enough it seems. When im standing on the outskirts of the map looking into it the frame rate drops even though im in a small little room and im staring at a wall. Im a little unsure of how to go about implementing oclusion testing in a FPS.Testing all the ojects against all the other objects that might be infront of it seems way too expensive. Im guessing I might have to do something like set up volumes and link objects to them. Like if the player is in volume X only objects a,b and c could possibly be vissible to him. (objects a,b and c being stationary. Like walls) or something like that. I could create a script to create these volumes on the maps and store it in the map files so the game doesnt need to do it. Does this sound like a feasible idea? or is there maybe a better solution that im missing.
Thnx in Advance!