Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Windows program priority

Started by _necrophilissimo_ Feb 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM 1 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
_necrophilissimo_
_necrophilissimo_
Some times a program that used to have a high CPU usage, but is now idling, prevents my current game build from hogging enough CPU processing power it needs. Ironically this doesn't bother the run-time so much, but the loading times become atrocious. While I feel this is not an issue with my program but that of the other program in question (specifically, Opera internet browser) (*), I'd love to know is there a way to tell Windows that my program needs all the juice it can get for the time being? You know, something like what the thread priorities do within the program itself, only for the program in general within Windows processes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(*) I deducted this from the fact that the instant I force Opera shut from Task Manager and restart my game, the issue gone.
SimonForsman
SimonForsman
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms686219%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.