Original Post
In games where you are the leader of an independent state (a civilization, city state, ect), do you think controversial policy issues should be avoided when possible?
I'm asking because I was thinking about population control methods in the game I'm making and thought about the possibility of choosing to ban or promote birth control as a way the player could control growth. There are a number of other potential policy choices like this which would affect gameplay such as capital punishment policies and treatment of POWs; further, I'm already giving individual citizens enough personality to reasonably cause them to like or dislike your policies ( resistance to change, conscientiousness, ect ).
The game's main focus is managing the expansion of a small young civilization, but not necessarily politics. That said, do you think those choices should be included in the game or would including such issues from the real world distract too much from the core content?
I'm asking because I was thinking about population control methods in the game I'm making and thought about the possibility of choosing to ban or promote birth control as a way the player could control growth. There are a number of other potential policy choices like this which would affect gameplay such as capital punishment policies and treatment of POWs; further, I'm already giving individual citizens enough personality to reasonably cause them to like or dislike your policies ( resistance to change, conscientiousness, ect ).
The game's main focus is managing the expansion of a small young civilization, but not necessarily politics. That said, do you think those choices should be included in the game or would including such issues from the real world distract too much from the core content?