Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Anyone want to help me? Basic DX environ in C++

Started by sysop1911 Feb 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM 7 replies 1.9k views
Original Post
sysop1911
sysop1911
Hi, I posted about this before, got some replies, but one promising lead dropped off the map. So I want to create a very basic 3D environment in DirectX with C++. It would consist of a small room in which the user would control an entity in the by moving it around the room. The room would have a few basic objects in it like a ball and a box. I would want basic physics in the room: gravity and the objects could be picked up and moved about the room, bounce off the walls, etc. That is it. I have been learning a bit of DX10 on my own, but I want to experiment with something and would just be faster if someone could create this for me. It is not for a homework assignment, just a personal project of mine. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
There's three seperate sections to your request:
1. Rendering a room and objects with DX10
2. Handling input (Keyboard / mouse I assume), presumably via Win32
3. Physics, probably via a physics library like Bullet or PhysX

You might be able to find someone to write a sample app to do the first two, but "basic physics" are still nontrivial.
Washu
Washu
Maybe you can crowd source it... lets see, I'll start you off:

// insert code here
In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
21st Century Moose
21st Century Moose
...without wanting to be rude...

I could get things done a lot faster too if somebody else would just do them for me. Unfortunately all those "someone else"s have a lot of their own stuff to be doing too.
Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls. 
CornyKorn21
CornyKorn21
Have you considered using something like Unity, UDK or another engine? There are many freely available options to do what you are requesting.
CornyKorn21
CornyKorn21


// insert code here
int main(int argc, char* argv)
{
//TODO
//Initialize Systems
//Load data
//Update world
//Render

return 0;
}



I'll start :-P
Jason Z
Jason Z

Have you considered using something like Unity, UDK or another engine? There are many freely available options to do what you are requesting.


He mentioned that he wanted to use C++. I was going to build up a sample in Hieroglyph 3 for him, but I have been completely out of time lately (I'm about 3 weeks from moving back from Germany to the U.S., so time is at a premium...).

If you would like, I can build a simple "RoomWithStuff" sample in Hieroglyph to get you started on rendering and stuff like that, but the physics support will have to be done by someone else - at least for the foreseeable future... I can promise to integrate a physics API at some point, but I am just not in a position to put a time frame on it right now.
Jason Zink :: DirectX MVP   Direct3D 11 engine on CodePlex: Hieroglyph 3 Direct3D Books: 
sysop1911
sysop1911

[quote name='CornyKorn21' timestamp='1328286248' post='4909206']
Have you considered using something like Unity, UDK or another engine? There are many freely available options to do what you are requesting.


He mentioned that he wanted to use C++. I was going to build up a sample in Hieroglyph 3 for him, but I have been completely out of time lately (I'm about 3 weeks from moving back from Germany to the U.S., so time is at a premium...).

If you would like, I can build a simple "RoomWithStuff" sample in Hieroglyph to get you started on rendering and stuff like that, but the physics support will have to be done by someone else - at least for the foreseeable future... I can promise to integrate a physics API at some point, but I am just not in a position to put a time frame on it right now.
[/quote]

I'll send PM. Thanks for replying.
Zhangls
Zhangls
In the corresponding DirectX SDK examples.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.