Original Post
Hi all,
I'm making a top-down zombie shooter and I'm not sure on how best to implement the collision response of the zombies. As you can see in the video, zombies are tested for collision with each other and the main player using circle-circle collision. When two zombies are found to be overlapping, they are "pushed apart" by translating them in opposite directions using the direction vector between their two centres.
This however makes the zombies rather "slippery" as you can see and does not look quite right. What would people suggest as a superior algorithm for zombie-zombie collision avoidance/response?
I have tried only allowing a zombie to step forwards if it does not cause a collision with another zombie, but this can cause a single zombie to block an entire crowd of zombies that are trying to follow the player.
I'm making a top-down zombie shooter and I'm not sure on how best to implement the collision response of the zombies. As you can see in the video, zombies are tested for collision with each other and the main player using circle-circle collision. When two zombies are found to be overlapping, they are "pushed apart" by translating them in opposite directions using the direction vector between their two centres.
This however makes the zombies rather "slippery" as you can see and does not look quite right. What would people suggest as a superior algorithm for zombie-zombie collision avoidance/response?
I have tried only allowing a zombie to step forwards if it does not cause a collision with another zombie, but this can cause a single zombie to block an entire crowd of zombies that are trying to follow the player.