Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

PIX not working

Started by Dynamo_Maestro Feb 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM 3 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
Dynamo_Maestro
Dynamo_Maestro
Hi

I have an app in WPF using SlimDX, tried to use PIX with it and no matter what options I pick (or what comp I am on) the app crashes

Although the exception log doesnt explain much (even online searches werent really helpful, here it is)


Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WPFDXApp.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4f442346
Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7b7b3
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00079de8
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789


The application works fine if I open it separately but no matter what option I pick in PIX I seem to get an exception much like the one above. Not really sure what other information to give, the WPF app is using DX10 and the worst part is the whole reason I was trying to use PIX was because something wasnt rendering and it took me 18 hours to find out why.

For winform apps PIX works fine, just doesnt seem to work with any WPF apps :/ any way of working around this, although I havent had a chance to properly use PIX it seems like it will be very useful.

in regards to 'Fault Module Name', the part of the app that uses DX9 is the part that creates the D3Dimage (D3DSlimDXImage.cs or something), it is in the SlimDX examples for DX10 too, sorry about being vague havent got VS up atm and im somewhat exhausted. The DX9 WPF example also crashes with a similar error but DX9 WinForm apps work fine.

Regards
turch
turch
If possible, try it on another machine. At one point I started getting a crash in PIX that only showed up on my machine and only with one program. A clean reinstall of everything fixed it.
Dynamo_Maestro
Dynamo_Maestro
I tried it on 2 comps, one x86 and the other x64, project was even compiled in different versions for the sake of things (although obviously the x64 wasnt tested on the x86), it only seems to be affecting WPF apps careless of directx version.

The directX SDK was installed 2 days ago on laptop as well as everything else, judging by your reply am I correct to assume this issue of not being able to start WPF apps in PIX is only affecting me?
turch
turch
am I correct to assume this issue of not being able to start WPF apps in PIX is only affecting me?
[/quote]

Sorry, I've never tried to run WPF in PIX, but my logs showed similar stuff. However, doing a quick google search shows that people are running WPF in PIX, so at least its possible.
skytiger
skytiger
PIX rarely works if DX is in DEBUG mode
also what does DX debug output say?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.