Original Post
Hey there forum,
I am currently studying a masters degree in Software Engineering, and I am struggling at the moment to decide what dissertation I should do. As I do not have a degree directly relevant to Games Programming (what I would like to do in the future) I wanted to pick a dissertation which would give me a good skill set for the gaming industry and would also look good on my CV to potential employers. I am currently deciding between two projects:
1) Develop a tank strategy game in C++. I currently have very little experience programming in C++ (only one year experience in C) so I believe this could be quite beneficial in order to learn the language that pretty much every games company wants you to program in. I of course would love to program in Java instead for the likes of an Android game as I have nearly five years of experience programming in Java, but it just doesn't seem to be in demand. The problem I see with this project is that it doesn't seem to be very interesting as a dissertation.
2) Develop a puzzle game in Java for Android distributed for free over the Android Market. The puzzle game would monitor how quickly a user can resize, drag and rotate objects around the touchscreen while attempting to solve the puzzles the game presents. The resultant data would then be sent back to a database over a wifi connection from the android device for analysis. The idea is that this data could be studied in order to figure out what a wide range of users find easy and quick to do on a touch screen, possibly resulting in a model which can be used in the future to influence good UI design. This project seems highly interesting, but my fear is that it may not develop valuable skills required in the real world for game development.
So I ask those who are already in the gaming industry; which should I choose? What would be more valuable for me and my potential future as a game developer?
I am currently studying a masters degree in Software Engineering, and I am struggling at the moment to decide what dissertation I should do. As I do not have a degree directly relevant to Games Programming (what I would like to do in the future) I wanted to pick a dissertation which would give me a good skill set for the gaming industry and would also look good on my CV to potential employers. I am currently deciding between two projects:
1) Develop a tank strategy game in C++. I currently have very little experience programming in C++ (only one year experience in C) so I believe this could be quite beneficial in order to learn the language that pretty much every games company wants you to program in. I of course would love to program in Java instead for the likes of an Android game as I have nearly five years of experience programming in Java, but it just doesn't seem to be in demand. The problem I see with this project is that it doesn't seem to be very interesting as a dissertation.
2) Develop a puzzle game in Java for Android distributed for free over the Android Market. The puzzle game would monitor how quickly a user can resize, drag and rotate objects around the touchscreen while attempting to solve the puzzles the game presents. The resultant data would then be sent back to a database over a wifi connection from the android device for analysis. The idea is that this data could be studied in order to figure out what a wide range of users find easy and quick to do on a touch screen, possibly resulting in a model which can be used in the future to influence good UI design. This project seems highly interesting, but my fear is that it may not develop valuable skills required in the real world for game development.
So I ask those who are already in the gaming industry; which should I choose? What would be more valuable for me and my potential future as a game developer?