Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

CloneMesh()

Started by xujiezhige Feb 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM 4 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
xujiezhige
xujiezhige
I load a mesh from Xfile using CDXUTXfileMesh::Create. Then i clone the mesh using CloneMesh( D3DXMESH_WRITEONLY ).

Which memory pool does the new mesh resides, POOL_MANAGED or POOL_DEFAULT?sad.png
TomKQT
TomKQT
You can specify the memory pool in the first parameter, you can write for example:
CloneMesh(D3DXMESH_MANAGED | D3DXMESH_WRITEONLY, blablabla....)
programci_84
programci_84
D3DXMESH_MANAGED means D3DPOOL_MANAGED for vertex and index buffer of the mesh. Like this one, D3DXMESH_WRITEONLY means D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY for both vertex and index bufferof the mesh.

So, you can check DX docs for D3DUSAGE and D3DPOOL. Docs say about D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY: "Buffers created with D3DPOOL_DEFAULT that do not specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY might suffer a severe performance penalty."
There's no "hard", and "the impossible" takes just a little time.
xujiezhige
xujiezhige
Thank you, TomKQT and programci_84.

I know how to specify memory pool. But don't know if not specify memory pool, just giving only D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, which memory pool it resides.

I had found the sentence---"Buffers created with D3DPOOL_DEFAULT that do not specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY might suffer a severe performance penalty.".
But I don't understand it well, does it mean if specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, the memory pool is D3DPOOL_DEFAULT?

maybe that's it meaning.smile.png
programci_84
programci_84

I know how to specify memory pool. But don't know if not specify memory pool, just giving only D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, which memory pool it resides.

You've 2 memory pool parameters for D3DX Mesh functions: D3DXMESH_MANAGED and D3DXMESH_SYSTEMMEM. If you don't specify one of'em, the function will choose D3DPOOL_DEFAULT for both vertex and index buffer of the mesh. So, if you specify only D3DXMESH_WRITEONLY, buffers will reside default memory pool.


I had found the sentence---"Buffers created with D3DPOOL_DEFAULT that do not specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY might suffer a severe performance penalty.".
But I don't understand it well, does it mean if specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, the memory pool is D3DPOOL_DEFAULT?

maybe that's it meaning.smile.png

As far as I understand, the sentence says: "Unless you specify D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT is a bad choice for memory pool. i.e. D3DPOOL_DEFAULT works well with only D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY".

hth.
-R
There's no "hard", and "the impossible" takes just a little time.
xujiezhige
xujiezhige
Thank you, programci_84!

You have given a good lesson to me.biggrin.png

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.