Original Post
Hello all. I have been searching on this for quite some time now and trying things out but I think it is time to finally ask a question. I have a platformer that I built that I am trying to change to a side scroller now. I have the map already layed out with tiles via a program I wrote and the tiles are loading properly.
What I am having trouble understanding and getting a definitive answer is this; In your update loop, when the player moves you have to update all of the tiles positions, monsters, and every item's position by the amount the player moved correct? I know a lot of articles say to use a camera which I am using but it basically just points to the player at all times.
I believe I have the rendering algorithm working properly (rendering tiles around the player only). A lot of the things I have read talk about updating the rendering rectangle of your background texture, so I was going to try this next by rendering to texture my tilemap but before I did that I figured I would ask the above question because I can't see a reason why you would have to convert everything to a texture first.
It shouldn't matter because I am just looking for theory here but I am writing in XNA 4.0.
If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thank you.
What I am having trouble understanding and getting a definitive answer is this; In your update loop, when the player moves you have to update all of the tiles positions, monsters, and every item's position by the amount the player moved correct? I know a lot of articles say to use a camera which I am using but it basically just points to the player at all times.
I believe I have the rendering algorithm working properly (rendering tiles around the player only). A lot of the things I have read talk about updating the rendering rectangle of your background texture, so I was going to try this next by rendering to texture my tilemap but before I did that I figured I would ask the above question because I can't see a reason why you would have to convert everything to a texture first.
It shouldn't matter because I am just looking for theory here but I am writing in XNA 4.0.
If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thank you.