Original Post
Hi,
I have a game management system that handles distance culling, so I use a custom frustum to cull objects before rendering. I don't clip the far plane because my system considers objects visible if they actually are visible. I mean, I don't cull distance at all. If the object is big enough to be seen at its current distance, then it gets drawn. It handles LOD sorting and is very fast.
Anyway, just for fun, I set up a (actual size) Sun and Earth, and set them their actual distance apart. I used a 1:1 scale where the value 1.0 represents 1.0 meters. So I made the earth object 6M units (radius), the sun object 700M units, and set them 150B units apart.
My system handles everything fine: objects look pretty, no jitter (double precision), and such.
The problem is, the renderer is drawing the sun on top of the earth when the earth should obscure it. I'm guessing this is a z-order precision issue, but I'm not a rendering guy.
My guess is that there's nothing I can do about it, but I wanted to be sure.
Oh, I'm using Xna for rendering right now, but my system allows for any rendering codebase to plug in fairly easily, so I'm asking this specific to Xna but not to the exclusion of other rendering engines.
Cheers,
Dave
I have a game management system that handles distance culling, so I use a custom frustum to cull objects before rendering. I don't clip the far plane because my system considers objects visible if they actually are visible. I mean, I don't cull distance at all. If the object is big enough to be seen at its current distance, then it gets drawn. It handles LOD sorting and is very fast.
Anyway, just for fun, I set up a (actual size) Sun and Earth, and set them their actual distance apart. I used a 1:1 scale where the value 1.0 represents 1.0 meters. So I made the earth object 6M units (radius), the sun object 700M units, and set them 150B units apart.
My system handles everything fine: objects look pretty, no jitter (double precision), and such.
The problem is, the renderer is drawing the sun on top of the earth when the earth should obscure it. I'm guessing this is a z-order precision issue, but I'm not a rendering guy.
My guess is that there's nothing I can do about it, but I wanted to be sure.
Oh, I'm using Xna for rendering right now, but my system allows for any rendering codebase to plug in fairly easily, so I'm asking this specific to Xna but not to the exclusion of other rendering engines.
Cheers,
Dave